Kerlink Gateway disconnected after one week

Hello,

I configured a new Kerlink Gateway (Wirnet Station) and mounted it outdoor. It worked perfectly fine for one week. However, since last Friday it is disconnected and no data is beeing transmitted anymore.

I am using the latest firmware (v3.1) and I set up everything according to the TTN setup description. For the data transmission I am using a SIM card.

Because the gateway is installed at a place where I don’t have physical access, I cannot check on site. Does anybody have an Idea what is causing the issue? I would like to collect some points to check, before I ask for access to the gateway.

I did some further analysis on the problem and figured out that when I remove and re-insert the SIM card, the Kerlink gateway does not automatically reconnect with the TTN Server anymore. I can still ping a website, but the packages are not forwarded anymore. Can anybody help?

Have you tried to just reboot the gw? Kerlink seems to not pay a lot of attention to celullar communication related functionality, so sometime their scripts that handle gprs connection (re)establishment fail, so routing tables become quirky etc…

After reboot the gw works again. But since I don’t have physical access to the gateway, I will not be able to reboot it after it looses gprs connection.

You use TTN packet forwarder, right?

Yes, I am using the latest version (dota_thethingsnetwork_v1.4_EU.tar.gz) and installed everything according to the setup tutorial. I assume that it might have an issue with the DNS, but couldn’f figure it out yet. I also tried to disable peerdns (GPRSDNS=no) according to this link, but then the gw does not connect at all.

If I were you I’d try Semtech’s PF, which uses connection-less UDP-based protocol, at least for testing puspose. From my experience, all grpc-based tools (not only TTN packet forwarder) don’t work well enough on Kerlink over celullar connection. At all, grpc doesn’t seem to handle network connection “brown-outs” well enough. There were some issues related to this case at their tracker, not sure if grpc devs (really) fixed them.

I added following line:
/usr/bin/killall poly_pkt_fwd
and added it to following two files:
/etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down

This worked and GPRS is now reconnecting after a short time-out.

1 Like

Oh, they include poly_pkt_fwd in distro for Kerlink… Then it’s really curious case. I should try to reproduce it in my environment, thanks for showing it.

This guideline helped me solve the problem:

Although, I am not sure if it is a workaround rather than a solution :smiley:

Hey there,
recently we had a problem. the base station installed on the roof of the building in the city stopped coming out on the summit and giving signs of life. tried to restore it remotely-unsuccessfully. brought the office and continued trying. no results. Tell me, please, what could have happened and how can this be resolved? I attach the message on the debug channel. photos of the included station (all the bulbs as on the photo burn constantly, without blinking) tried to reload it more than 32 times.
service, unfortunately, do not respond!
28rN_R0Mz5Y|375x5002Dn9zPVZ5GMpM90_fTrG-gdebug1DyYqkIDBncSxVqarWt8IY