LoPy ABP Example

In addition i used my SDR to check the radio, its not transmitting anything on other channels …

while writing this i think perhaps the socket thinks its confirmed and waits for a reply that never comes because its unconfirmed?

@kruisdraad thanks for the detailed reply. You are right, it’s not because the Gateway is not replying as even with all messages sent as unconfirmed this happens. I’m currently debugging the issue, I’ll report back soon.

OK, I know the root cause now. It’s because of the ETSI duty cycle limitations. This is what happens:

1. At the moment only Data rate 0 is used.
  2. At the moment there are only 2 active sub-bands on the 868 band.
  3. The 2 sub bands enabled have the 1% duty cycle limitation.

So, sending 2 short packets works fine, but the third one waits until the delay to comply with the duty cycle limitation expires (which depends on the size of the packet sent before and the data rate used, and it’s always 0 at the moment). In my case with a 6 byte packet, I have to wait ~2 minutes between transmissions.

Here’s what I propose:

1. Make the socket raise an exception if sending is not possible due to the duty cycle limitation.
  2. Add an option to set the data rate (using socket.setsockopt()).
  3. Add an option to enable the desired channels and their data rate ranges (this will be in the LoRa class).

Views? All suggestions are welcome.

I understand the frustration about the LoPy software being incomplete and buggy, but we are working hard to fix all this ASAP.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 Like

Thanks @danicampora, for all the hard work you’re putting to get the LoPy right! And kudos for being very transparent about the progress all along the way.

Your proposals make sense to me, but probably someone with deeper knowledge of the standard should chime in… /cc @Thomas

About the enabled sub bands, I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that only 1 sub band is active (at least on the TTN frequency plan).

Cheers!

1 Like

@danicampora - I am sorry, but i dont think thats true

simple tests (all sending 1 byte):

1: i have the node running in a loop sending messages without blocking, it sends out msg 1, but after 4 hours (!) still the count is 1 at any gateway, and the SDR confirms nothing is send
2: same loop but with a 30 minute (!) sleep between each transmit, more then enough to be in the duty cycle, but still never a message 2 after 2,5 hours (5 cycles) of waiting
3: same loop again with 60 minutes sleep, same deal

so i don’t really think its a duty cycle thing, but rather something with the socket/API not handling the radio correctly, but hey thats just a guess since the stuff aint open source :wink:

Now to the proposes:

@1 yeah, i would suggest passing allong the radio reply 1:1, it not only makes senses and everyone knows those messages since their working with the radio. Dont know the exact error, but some libs say ‘no free channel’ or ‘busy’. e.g. lora.tx returns OK, if not OK, throw it as a catchable error. You could also go simple with a true/false which makes it easier to code arround (or do both, lora.tx true/false, lora.debugtx return radio reply)

@2 Not only data rate, but only SF, bandwidth and coding should be settable. I found the methods and when i call them the code/radio seems to accept them, however when trying to send the packet (not even the first) is ever send. I think there is some kind if init() failure there (which does not throw an exception)

@3 selecting a channel (or a group) would be handy. e.g. a sane default should be 1-3 from your end, which i’ve seen most nodes use. Thereafter most people would change that to either a single channel or 8 channel, since most of the GW’s use these.

@4 It feels as if their is something blocking. so i’d suggest options to get a radio status (e.g. dump all the set values/settings and a radio status) and a option to reset the radio itself (prolly in the INIT() already, but calling init, again just blocks)

@frustration about the LoPy software being incomplete and buggy
I am sorry to say, but simple stuff like documentation and mostly a copy/paste what you used to test ABP with is not that much work. Yeah there is no guide, but you know most people can handle some coding, and not only that people might post updates/ideas for changes. (i couldnt find one) but if the docs where a github repo people might submit changes or stuff in the /examples/ dir.

Sending out and update stating ‘we fixed ABP’ and not even updating a docs/example is really bad. And now you have someone that figured it out and found problems, issues others would be able to have reported if the example was posted (e.g. in the forum of TTN or your own, where active topics are there).

Finally being active only gets you thus far, regurlar updates and suchs are a real pre, however some examples are flatout wrong, and not going open source set a few bad people. I was really really waiting on the LoPy and it looked really great, but its starting to be the first node that doesnt really do much. I was really hoping to try the GW options, but looking at the current status i wont think its going to be working this year and as such i rather have waited a month more …

so thats just my ranting :wink: i really hope stuff gets back on track and make this the great product it could be!

Small chance, but just in case the Python code suffers the same problem: in LMiC people have seen that truly sleeping confuses the library;

1 Like

Great work can you edit the startpost with the dev adr 0x69128CD3
@kruisdraad ?

updated first post

1 Like

I always get:

>>> lora.join(activation=LoRa.ABP, auth=auth, timeout=0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
OverflowError: overflow converting long int to machine word

wether I use 0x9A662B6B or 2590387051

What does your auth tuple look like? And what firmware version are you using?
Note that Pycom posted an example for ABP on their website

Here’s my code:

# main.py -- put your code here!
from network import LoRa
import socket

# Initialize LoRa in LORAWAN mode.
lora = LoRa(mode=LoRa.LORAWAN, sf=7, tx_power=14)
lora.BW_125KHZ
lora.CODING_4_5

# create an ABP authentication tuple (NwkSKey, AppSKey, DevAddr)
auth = (bytes([0x58, 0xB9, 0x47, 0x74, 0xAF, 0x6F, 0x97, 0x43, 0xEA, 0x0C, 0x58, 0xC5, 0x12, 0xA1, 0xDE, 0x68]), bytes([0x32, 0x83, 0xB1, 0xD7, 0x99, 0x05, 0x83, 0x29, 0x8F, 0xE5, 0xE4, 0xE8, 0x1A, 0xE7, 0x0E, 0xD6]), 0x9A662B6B)

# join a network using ABP (Activation By Personalization)
lora.join(activation=LoRa.ABP, auth=auth, timeout=0)

while not lora.has_joined():
	print('Trying to join LoRa network')
	sleep(1)
	pass
print('Joined LoRa Network')

pycom.rgbled(GREEN)
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
s.setblocking(False)

while True:
	print('Sending Packet')
	s.send('Hello from the LoPy')
	print('Done sending')
	sleep(2)

In their example they use 0x01 as DevAddr… that won’t work i guess?

Thanks!

until they fixed the API’s sending more the n1 packet still fails … no further updates from pycom so no idea when a fix is provided

no, ofc not you will needto add the DevAddr assign to you by TTN. Adding the HEX to valid int works for me … IF you run the latest firmware, older firmwares will not work.

But if I convert the DevAddr assigned by TTN to INT it results in 2590387051 and this also gives an error:

>>> # create an ABP authentication tuple (NwkSKey, AppSKey, DevAddr)
>>> auth = (bytes([0x58, 0xB9, 0x47, 0x74, 0xAF, 0x6F, 0x97, 0x43, 0xEA, 0x0C, 0x58, 0xC5, 0x12, 0xA1, 0xDE, 0x68]), bytes([0x32, 0x83, 0xB1, 0xD7, 0x99, 0x05, 0x83, 0x29, 0x8F, 0xE5, 0xE4, 0xE8, 0x1A, 0xE7, 0x0E, 0xD6]), 2590387051)
>>>
>>> # join a network using ABP (Activation By Personalization)
>>> lora.join(activation=LoRa.ABP, auth=auth, timeout=0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
OverflowError: overflow converting long int to machine word

Just experimented a little: Values up to 0x7FFFFFFF are OK but 0x80000000 and higher raise an overflow
My guess is that a signed type was used instead of an unsigned type to represent the dev-addr
You can work around this by choosing a dev-addr that is below 0x80000000

But As @kruisdraad mentions ABP isn’t working yet, only the first package arrivés, but if that feels like an achievement, just go ahead :slight_smile:

A few things seem to be missing from the code?
import pycom
setting of GREEN to 0x00FF00

Thanks for your tips…
Indeed the code was missing some lines :grinning:

But one more question: in ABP I cannot choose my own dev-addr as far a I know? So how should I choose one below 0x7FFFFFFF ?

Use the ttnctl command like mentioned here by @arjanvanb
And please change your keys because now they are known to the world :blush:

Thank you so much…finally I got my first message through!!!

Now time for my sodaq :wink:

(and yes, I will change those keys :wink:

perhaps @danicampora can that that value type / signed / unsigned in account with the next release

Yes I hope so, I reported the problem on the Pycom forum. But at least there is a workaround by choosing your device address when using the ttnctl command as mentioned above. So it’s not as blocking as the 1 packet issue.