LoRa under water

@cslorabox @LoRaTracker @kersing @Jeff-UK and @chip45
Thank you for contributing to my unusual question, I have a pretty clear idea now of the under water limitations and you pointed me to alternative solutions like 169MHz point-to-point communication.

So from my side, thank you, I’ll not bother you with more questions on LoRa underwater.

Hi @ecosoph, apologies that this is a late response to this forum topic but it might be worth taking a look at underwater acoustic solutions often used for fish tracking, such as:

The under-water range is up to 1500m.
I find myself wondering if a LoRaWAN payload could be modulated onto an acoustic carrier instead of a radio carrier for underwater use. Alternatively an acoustic to normal-LoRaWAN relay buoy could be created with the acoustic part underwater and the LoRaWAN part above water.

I helped a student who did a thesis on a similar topic a few years ago. The LPWAN solution was Sigfox, but it could just as easily have used LoRaWAN, had coverage been available.

https://odr.chalmers.se/bitstream/20.500.12380/300534/1/Blinge_2019.pdf in case someone wants to read the report.

@mfalkvidd and @cultsdotelecomatgmai thank you both a lot for your valuable input!
I’ll go through the Sigfox thesis, it looks interesting.

However, due to the extremely large range, the acoustic transmitters look nice to me as well.

1 Like