My Gateway does not forward traffic

I’ll try to summarise the discussion here a little bit for future users.

1. Gateways silently dropping packets.
    Gateways and TTN (the Network Server) are not designed to drop traffic silently. Any error would at least be logged either in the gateway or on the network. If this is actually happening, then that needs some investigation.The issue could be related to the gateway IP address changes, network interface change, ACK messages not received by the gateway/network etc etc. An issue such as this needs debugging and if there are packet forwarder logs, we can help you with that.
    Btw, the author of the original thread (Gateway EUIs blocked and their traffic dropped silently? ) never provided any logs to debug what the issue is.
    I would’ve preferred that thread be called “My Gateway does not forward traffic” with relevant logs to debug the issue instead of directly assuming there is a bug and the network blocks EUIs and silently drops traffic.

2. As explained by others, changing the EUI is not a valid solution. It might temporarily circumvent the problem since the network assumes that it’s a completely different gateway and starts a new connection, with new connection state.

• It does not solve the original problem. If the issue is with the gateway’s network interfaces, it will appear again on the new EUI.
  • Unless the EUI chosen is truly randomly, you are most likely registering your gateway with someone else’s valid gateway EUI, which they will purchase in the future and would not be happy that it’s already registered.
  • Many gateways cannot change their EUIs.

We can usually identify the issue by looking at the PULL_DATA: PULL_ACK and PUSH_DATA: PUSH_ACK messages in the packet forwarder logs.

So let’s not jump to conclusions before we have data. @rharte can you provide PF logs of the gateway? You can strip sensitive information and post that here.

2 Likes