New Gateway Registration

should be fixed now

Still Server Error (500) I think you need to check some logging on your side. Please let me know if i need to provide some additional information

Note: I`m using another (company) account to add the gateway

Not fixed, still Server Error (500)

Ah, found it.

Yup, seems to be working :smile:

Hello @Jorma

How can i register Linkalabs lorawan, gateway on hethingsnetwork.org ?

thanks

The map on thethingsnetwork is a static map I guess. It contains (at least in Nijmegen) a lot of gateways that are not there (yet) or that are not active.
The lpwan.uk maps looks nice. Too bad that a lot of gateways still do not reveal their location. This would make life for node developers so much brighter.

But then, anyone who claims to have - what they call - a gateway can add this to the map. A Raspberry Pi with a single channel sx1276 board will (and a lot do) show up as a gateway. In my very humble opinion that’s not a gateway but a testing tool. If you place a gateway on the map it should be a “real” gateway that at least listens on the 3 default channels and is also able to do stuff like OTAA. Also make sure it’s always online - or at least try to have it online. The network is now building up and it is time to leave the phase of “development” where network and gateways go on and off at irregular intervals.

As soon as I can guarantee that my gateway is stable and runs 24/7 with 99% up-time I’ll add my GPS coordinates. Until then it’s just one of those “location not disclosed” testing things.

1 Like

Nope; see the explanation of the colors on top: Active, Inactive, Deactivated, Planned. So indeed some are not active yet (including Kickstarter pledges), but some have been added automatically upon receiving the first packet (or the first status message, not sure), where the coordinates are taken from the status messages. This includes single-channel gateways that have coordinates set.

Also, though I agree a single-channel gateway is just for testing, at this moment I like to see them, as they show people’s activity.

1 Like

However it would be nice if they could easily be recognized, or even better filtered, as they are non standard and provide false information regarding the availability of TTN at those locations.

2 Likes

Having correct information is difficult. What is the range of a gateway? and even then - it’s almost never a full circle.

My gateway will be placed on the roof of a building next to the river (Waal) with line of sight in the direction of Arnhem and Dodewaard. I’m almost confident it will be able to pick up nodes in Elst (8km North) but Radbout University at ~ 5km south-east is a challenge: lots of buildings and woods are blocking my line of sight.

All gateways should get a quality index. Something to get an idea of the range of the gateway. This is not an absolute figure with a kilometer range but just some kind of “service level” that gives me an idea if this gateway will stay active and/or has a proper range.

I know the range of a gateway depends on a lot of variables, however we can assume most gateways will have at least a coverage of say 1km in an urban environment. Also knowing if a gateway is at least fully LoRaWAN compliant (which the single channel versions are not) would help as LoRaWAN nodes within range should be to able to send data using a gateway. With single channel gateways it is hit and miss with miss being far more likely (3 different main frequencies and 6 different SF settings, also (assumption) antennas and antenna interface on single channel gateways will probably be less optimal giving a smaller range as well.)

Sounds like an excellent idea, however who is going to assign the values and who will verify those values are realistic? I think people tend to overestimate the range of their gateway. Walking around with a GPS equiped node certainly made me aware of the limitations of my gateway before antenna upgrade.

Hi Jorma,

Unless you’re planning to migrate it: can you please add a note on http://ttnstatus.org/ to say it’s monitoring the obsolete Croft (right?), and refer people to http://staging.thethingsnetwork.org/gatewaystatus/ for the new environment?

2 Likes

Hi,
just got my own gateway up and running. (Raspberry PI+ LinkLabs LoRaWAN shield).

I have one question, the gateway ID as set in local_conf.json: do I need to pick one myself or can I leave the value as I found it? If I need to pick one myself, are they any suggestion how to get a good one?

Thanks, Jan

@jdelaet Check if the ID is based on the MAC address of you Ethernet interface (with some added hex digits to make it 8 bytes). If it is you are good to go.

Hi,

I registered a gateway based on raspberry pi + lora hat (single channel)
I reused same raspberry pi + ic880a to build a full gateway, and registered it too.
Now I realized that both gateways have the same EUI.

None of them seems to be active.
I read in the Console instructions that if I remove a gateway: “You will not be able to restore the gateway or re-use its ID”

Can any one support on how should I proceed?

Best Regards,
Tomas

register with a new, different eui

Thanks BoRRoZ,

How can I get the new EUI?
As far as I understood, it is a number, given by the GW SW once you install it in the Raspberry Pi.

Best Regards,
Tomas

Hi,

Finnally I did not remove any of the two GW with same EUI.
The most recent one (Basen on RPI + iC880a) is working fine on TTN, and I do not have plans to re-activate the other one (RPI + lora hat (single channel)).

Best Regards,
Tomas