Newbe questions

Dear all,

First I would like to wish you a happy new year.

I am new to the community and I would also like to thank you for the hard work.

I am planning to install a first node in my summer house in Northern France. It is based on the Mikrotik LR8 and 868 Omni antenna. I have a view on 15 km from my house on one direction, which is on a hill (but not on top of the hill). I am planning to replace an old satellite dish. My questions

1. Does it matter if the omnidirectionnal antenna is close to the house wall (50 cm)?
  2. Should the omni antenna be on top of the house or is 2 meters sufficient?
  3. In the brochure I can see that the antenna is not completely omnidirectional as it has better gains in some direction.
    https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/68_Omni_antenna_211023.pdf
    Can you confirm?
    How can I know how to point the antenna?

Sorry for those silly questions.

Kind regards,
FF

This seems to be a bit mixed up in terminology.

In LoRaWAN a “node” typically refers to an “end device” which is a battery powered sensor or (in rare limited cases) actuator.

In contrast the LR8 is a “gateway” - a more expensive and more power hungry device (almost always mains powered) which bridges LoRaWAN air signals from end devices to the Internet where they can reach a relevant LoRaWAN server, such as TTN’s infrastructure.

So it seems like you are talking about deploying a gateway, not a “node”

The antenna should be as high and as free as possible.

To answer your questions:

1. This will reduce the coverage significantly compared to an antenna on top of the roof
  2. The antenna should be on top of the roof e.g. on a mast
  3. The antenna is omnidirectional. What you see is the vertical diagram, the horizontal diagram is a circle

Depending on where you are, take care of the output-power. The antenna has a gain of abt. 3 dBd, this gain can be used to compensate the loss of the antenna-cable or you have to reduce the tx-power by 3dB.

There is quite some information on antenna placement in this Helium Article!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind answer.
I can place the emitter near the top of the roof, but not on top of the house.