Newbie - Gateway with Linux-box? (EU-Greece)

Thank for the clarification. I thought (SPI) it was a bus inside of PCIe or mPCIe.

I don’t know if it’s right. But one person told me that mPCIe in a laptop maybe supports USB bus, so I was expecting also a SPI interface / bus via mPCIe.

So a PC is out of specifications. Interesting. So the best option is a host with SPI but the only host I found till now is Rapsberry Pi and maybe mikrotik in the future with routerboard.

Hmmm… still confused about the ideal situation (we are off-topic now). To my understanding the best solution is a non-customized dedicated device.

Anyway I am waiting the device, the shipped it :slight_smile:

As @kersing noted. I made wrong assumption here. The n-fuse card is only USB / UART capable, not SPI. I was confused with RAK833 which has version SPI/USB (now obsolete. The new one is: RAK2247)

So if you lose with n-fuse you have to buy an SPI capable card with a SPI host.

Success! Thank you all for the help and advices!

The concentrator was delayed, in the meantime I made a node (feather lora 32u4). It was helpfull, because without the node the gateway seemed offline. After the first message from the node, it appears online!

Observations:

1. I was confused with the server settings. I had to use router.eu.thethings.network instead of eu.thethings.network as stated in the website (console).
  2. The mini pci-e adapter to USB is USB1 (12Mbit instead of 480Mbit). I suppose no trivial since the data rate is minimal. My testing connection now is: n-fuse (mpci-e) > usb adapter (V1) > usb hub (4 ports) > pentium-m (era 2004). Seems fine. But the only traffic is my node.
  3. The concentrator is HOT after five minutes! Even if your laptop has mini pci-e with USB host capabilities, don’t try it. IT’S HOT!
  4. Indoor seems only useful for testing. I don’t know if the antenna is crap. Very limited range my current setup. Arount 200-300 meters, but I impressed that I could send message from my basement (only concrete on walls, no bricks on any wall)

Can I make more questions here?

1. What is the auto-update in gateway settings (console settings)? I have to update the global_conf.json sometimes? Or I have to do submit my local_conf.json? https://github.com/ttn-zh/gateway-remote-config
  2. Although my concentrator is new, the software is old / abandonware. I am forced to use ‘legacy’ packet forwarder. This is the reason I am not trusted?
  3. ttnmapper says unknown distance. How can I inform about the distance? TTN says correct location with the remark: “location_source”:“registry”. I have to enable fake_gps on json?
  4. This is noise or low signal? (I have not tried to send message)

# RF packets received by concentrator: 3,
# CRC_OK: 0.00%, CRC_FAIL: 100.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%

1. Is important my date (clock) settings on my computer? I should regurarly run ntpdate?

2. Those messages normal?
    INFO: host/sx1301 time offset=(1566397011s:959717µs) - drift=964272037µs
    INFO: [down] PULL_ACK received in 89 ms
    INFO: host/sx1301 time offset=(1566397011s:959457µs) - drift=-260µs

3. Can I test the antenna without special equipment? The antenna is also for RX an TX? Can I remove for testing? I don’t even understand if the antenna makes a proper connection to the module. I know that for TX is catastrophic to the module. But my node is using TinyLoRa without ACK’s.

4. The more important question. I can’t log the activity of lora_pkt_fwd. lora_pkt_fwd >> lora.log logs only after exit! I suppose I need to modify the code to support syslog?

5. The console data are temp and only live? I have integration with my server, so I don’t lose data. TTN ROCKS!

Now I have the idea to buy a large USB cable and to place the gateway outdoors. But I need time for that.

1 Like

That setting applies to first generation TTN gateways only.

1. Although my concentrator is new, the software is old / abandonware. I am forced to use ‘legacy’ packet forwarder. This is the reason I am not trusted?

It is not abandoned, however newer TCP based software is available. Search the forum and you will find it.

1. ttnmapper says unknown distance. How can I inform about the distance? TTN says correct location with the remark: “location_source”:“registry”. I have to enable fake_gps on json?

No, you should not need to do so.

1. This is noise or low signal? (I have not tried to send message)

# RF packets received by concentrator: 3,
# CRC_OK: 0.00%, CRC_FAIL: 100.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%

Multiple possible causes. Node too close to the hardware is one of the most occurring, keep at least 3 meters between the node and the gateway. If no node is active it might be Lora traffic or noise.

1. Is important my date (clock) settings on my computer? I should regurarly run ntpdate?

No, you should run ntpd to keep the clock in sync. Ntpdate causes jumps in the time which isn’t good for timekeeping.

1. Those messages normal?
    INFO: host/sx1301 time offset=(1566397011s:959717µs) - drift=964272037µs
    INFO: host/sx1301 time offset=(1566397011s:959457µs) - drift=-260µs

You could google some or check the forum in stead of asking every single thing… Yes, perfectly normal.

1. Can I test the antenna without special equipment? The antenna is also for RX an TX? Can I remove for testing? I don’t even understand if the antenna makes a proper connection to the module. I know that for TX is catastrophic to the module. But my node is using TinyLoRa without ACK’s.

However another node could happen to be close by and force your gateway to transmit. Never run your gateway without an antenna attached. To test the antenna you could exchange it with another one to see it that performs better.

1. The more important question . I can’t log the activity of lora_pkt_fwd. lora_pkt_fwd >> lora.log logs only after exit! I suppose I need to modify the code to support syslog?

Anything started by systemd should log to the journal, not to syslog. You would need to change the software for that. However why would you want to? Keep in mind the software writes to a buffered output file which shows data only after 1k has been written to the buffer, which is standard on *nix since 1970…

1. The console data are temp and only live?

This has been answered on the forum over and over. Yes, not buffered, so only shows data arriving when open and everything is lost when the window is closed.

@kersing

I did not get that about the software. I will search. I thought for n-fuse only picoGW packet forwarder was my option.

ntpd vs ntpdate: Thanks, I didn’t knew that!

Yes the log is populated after some data. I think other programs (ex. apache) are not behaving like that, but maybe it’s my bad. (no systemd here).

I am semi-ok with that (lost log data with ctrl+c):
lora_pkt_fwd | grep --line-buffered -E ERROR\|WARNING\|sent\|mote\|rxpk >> /var/log/lora.log

One more observation.

I upgraded the firmware and the gateway stopped to receive messages connected to hub - although no errors reported. Connected directly to the computer was ok (receiving messages). Also stress test where failing via hub, but before the update it was ok.

The magic line to make sure the gateway is working is:
INFO: host/sx1301 time offset=(1566772299s:304389µs) - drift=-1705505339µs
INFO: [down] PULL_ACK received in 92 ms

After a restart of host computer is working again through the hub. The hub has some weird cache? I forgot to power-off the hub, or change ports. Maybe the problem was with the hub.