"No Brokers" Error for ABP Device on TTN V3

I’d really appreciate some help here :pray: I’m not technically inept, but needing to navigate random forum posts and github PR comments to even know what is the relevant factoid to add here to get meaningful help is frustrating.

BTW, one factoid that hasn’t been asked of me yet and I don’t really know if it is relevant is that my gateway is a Laird RF191. Could that be a factor here?

What packet forwarder have configured on that gateway? If not the UDP based one you need to switch to it, the old TTN packet forwarder Laird shipped many moons ago is not supported and packets received by it will not be forwarded to V3.

What packet forwarder have configured on that gateway? If not the UDP based one you need to switch to it, the old TTN packet forwarder Laird shipped many moons ago is not supported and packets received by it will not be forwarded to V3.

I am using the “TTN Forwarder”. That’s actually all I know because the administrative UI doesn’t tell me if it is UDP or not. There is configuration presets for “The Things Network - US” and “The Things Network Legacy - US”. I am using the "The Things Network - US, maybe the other one is the one you are referring to as not supported? Anyway, the best I can tell from perusing the Laird site is that I have the latest firmware installed on my gateway.

That is the old obsolete software. Please switch to the Semtech forwarder.

Please switch to the Semtech forwarder.

Great! Do you know or know where I can find out what to set for the “Network Server Address”, “Port Up”, and “Port Down” setting for the Semtech forwarder?

EDIT: I did find this documentation on setting up a “Basics Station” on TTN at Laird’s website. Is this what I need to do? If so, it seems to imply do not in fact have the latest firmware.

Do not upgrade your firmware before switching to Semtech protocol. If you do you’ll need to reset to default settings.

The required information should be in the TTN console, ports are 1700 but site address depends on your location. You will probably need to register a new gateway in V2 as Semtech protocol is EUI based (legacy it’s called in V2).

OK, I have switched my Laird RF191 gateway to using the Semtech Forwarder, and used router.us.thethings.network as the Network Server Address, my v3 ABP device can now send uplinks to my v3 app. Thanks!

I now note a new problem. I cannot send downlinks to the devices anymore. What areas should I be investigating to solve this?

Isn’t the v3 address for the North America cluster for gateways nam1.cloud.thethings.network??

As the packet router will forward packets from v2 to v3 you’ve probably got away with the v2 address. However it can’t forward downlinks from v3 to v2 …