OTAA works just fine, ABP doesn't for me (for now!)

Hello community,
I’ve across a problem using ABP.
I’m studying the energy consumption in LoRaWAN and wanted to test both OTAA and ABP, OTAA is done, all tests seem nice, but when I use ABP something is just not right.
What I’ve experienced so far:

• Uplinks are received but not always (?)
  • Downlinks don’t work
  • The network settings are currently set like this:

110O2012

I’ve tried changing the RX2 Data Rate from {0-7} but nothing was working, Resets Frame Counters were ticked.
I’m using Pycom’s FiPy and couldn’t find the data rate in which it receives so I just tried a whole lot of them on RX2 data rate index but with no success whatsoever

Any idea what could it be that makes this so inconsistent? Thank you all.

You need EU868 with SF9 for RX2

Also did you create with reset frame counters from start or tick that after the fact (after registration - e.g. if you registered as OTAA 1st then just changed to ABP) or have you set using CLI?

I’ve reset my device before using ABP and then I ticked the Reset frame counter options. So yes from start. I don’t use the CLI.

So not a new registration for ABP use (vs OTAA) with Reset option set at time of registration? Asking as Nick @descartes has been wrangling a number of user problems with ABP in recent days/weeks and suggestion is adding Reset after the fact (ticking the box) vs using at new or setting via CLI may not be well behaved so looking for extra datapoints to help with forensics…

No, didn’t try a new one. Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a go tomorrow!

I’ve altered the title to give it some ownership. There are indeed some challenges find the correct combination of incantation to get ABP working, but I have it working for me just fine and so do others.

The challenge with debugging the details is eliciting the details from those answering without it turning in to this: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?t=41