Passing on a gateway to a new owner

I have had a ttn indoor gateway for a while in Derby (UK) that I now want to pass on to someone in Plymouth.

He would want to register in his name and location and add nodes as he sees fit and develops his LoRa network.

Do I delete it from my console or do I have to do something else.
After he has it I won’t have any involvement in it.

Many Thanks

And…
Can I just delete the nodes I have registered and pass them on to him too?

If I have to do something else then please let me know…

Thanks

DO NOT DELETE IT! Note all the warnings about not being undone - also once deleted the eui for the GW cannot be re-used preventing others registering.

Best practice is likely add new owner as collaborator on the GW Console Settings page then use the transfer ownership option under the GW overview… you can skip the collaborator option but is useful to check user entered correctly and valid :wink:

The new owner can then update details (e.g. location) and otherwise manage/update as needed including changing himan readable description etc. on own console view.

3 Likes

For the sake of completeness: it seems to depend on the packet forwarder that is used.

When using a forwarder that enforces a specific gateway id (like based on the MAC address), then indeed one should never delete it. This applies to, e.g., the legacy forwarder, which is also used when registering the TTIG on V2 (though that uses Basic Station). But other forwarders allow for choosing one’s own gateway id. For those, one simply needs to choose a different unique id when deleting and adding it again. From Slack:

@proffalken 2020-03-09 3:32 PM

Hmmm, I guess my gateways don’t tend to force the eui as the ID - I’ve got both Multitech and RAK gateways that have been added/removed from various TTN Accounts, so YMMV

Same might go for devices: their unique id might be blocked for future usage, but as you can choose whatever you want, that seems fine. Beware:

(More details in that post.)

I don’t understand the message that is shown for “change owner”, so I’d be on the safe side and always add the new owner as a collaborator. See Is it possible to change the owner of a gateway - #6 by arjanvanb.

:+1: Thanks for expanding for the wider use cases - I have some more flexible units also similar to Mat, though as Gypo called out the TTIG specifically I just wanted to be direct & clear with such ‘fixed’ devices that avoiding deletion is key point :wink: Devices (nodes) seems to be a bit different from the GW’s which is good/more flexible :slight_smile: