Poor RSSI in SX1276

Hi,

Thanks for useful information.

Hello , I am using SX1276RF1JAS evaluation board , am facing now the same problem you had ,that rssi is very bad ,it gives -95 on 4 meters range while i got rssi -21 when using rfm96 module which is also sx1276 based , I make the control on the Rxtx pin and still having the same problem , when i test the connection between the RFo pin and the RFC ,no connection. What i have to do to make the module work as normal .

Hello , I am using SX1276RF1JAS evaluation board , am facing now problem that rssi is very bad ,it gives -95 on 4 meters range while i got rssi -21 when using rfm96 module which is also sx1276 based without amplifier, that is the strange . , I make the control on the Rxtx pin as you mentioned by applying 3.3 v and still having the same problem , when i test the connection between the RFo pin and the RFC ,no connection. What i have to do to make the module work as normal .and how to control between Tx and Rx ,maye be i am doing somthing wrong . Thanks in Advance.

Is your board for the same frequency band (ie 868 or 915) as you are attempting to operate it on? If you have the wrong board for your intended frequency the the chip itself will still work at the frequency your software sets, but all the RF networks surrounding it will be mistuned leading to poor signal strength.

Thank you for this response. Found this after hours of frustration, solved my rssi issue in a flash.

1 Like

Hello,

Seizing the opportunity, I would to make a question to you guy. I have 2 SX1278 ( https://www.ebay.com/i/153522718712?chn=ps ) modules each one connected in a ESP32. I having poor signal but I have used GSM antennas. I like to know if they have to work without antenna if I put them near each one? (2 meters distance) I guess my antennas aren’t compatibles. But analog to wifi connections access point and client can work without antenna in short distances.

It should work after a fashion - but you run the risk of damaging the output stages of the chips.

It would be better to cut some wire to the correct length - 16.4cm - and use them.

However, please do not think of using an ESP32 as a single channel gateway as that’s very detrimental to the TTN community.

You don’t say where you are, so it’s not possible to comment on using 433MHz - it may not be authorised for where you are.

Thks @descartes!

It’s my 1st time with LoRa, in one of my tests I get the response from the transmitter, using GSM antennas in both LoRa. So, I will assume my wiring pins are ok. But after a while I cant get any radio signal, with or without my GSM antennas (not the correct kind, but It’s all I have to tests), may I have damaged the output stages as your warning.

So just to conclude, it’s better to test it without antennas, in a range of 2 or 3m it should to work?

About regulations I know I have to respect my country rules that are above 915mhz, but It’s just a home tests for a while.

I have appreciated your help Nick!

See above!

2 Likes

you run the risk of damaging the output stages of the chips.

Good to know that. I don’t understand why they sell the LoRas modules without antena. I will try use an ordinary wire of 16.4cm.

Thks!

Which one should they ship - a 3cm coil or a 1.5m fibre glass pole and everything in between.

But yes, it would be more helpful if they ensured at checkout that they’d offered something.

For 10metres or so, a piece of wire works fine, connecting it may require a soldering iron. Don’t have the modules too close.

1 Like

I have appreciated your help @descartes, It was a very good lesson!

Also best to keep >>3m apart for tests 2-3m could be too close (transitioning from operating in ‘far field’ to more like ‘near field’ also with potential front end overloads…)… You can also use half the wire length (may be esier to keep straight/stiff at ~8.2cm for EU868, slightly shorter for 915Mhz & above, with only small performance loss (GIYF - 1/4-wave antenna @ taget frequency)

1 Like