Price of service

Hi
I have started with TTN and as I see it is free? I cant find what is limitation of free usage like number of transmissions , amount of data, number or nodes or something else.
Thanks

Hi
Even for testing one node it seems pretty modest. I am testing one node which sent just check and receive ack but every minute or so but consumed time is cca 0.05 sec does it mean cca 600 sessions per day? Is there other, payable, option?
Rgds

Well, someone has to pay for the backend resources, Gateways and Internet connections involved.

If you need more capacity contact The Things Industries;

The Things Industries

PS: Dont plan on sending a packet every minute AND requiring an ack, the Gateway has to operate within legal duty cycle limits so its just not feasible to ack every uplink. Thats why there is a limit of 10 downlinks (which includes acks) a day. If you application requires an ack for every uplink, then perhaps LoRaWAN is not suitable.

And if the node is at max distance from a Gateway, the air time of the packets is much longer and you should only be sending around 24 packets a day.

Thanks. I will figure out the best option. For testing more frequent sending is a must. After that i dont need more than ones per hour. even less. Will see.
Rgds

Not if you are doing it correctly. You don’t need to test LoRaWAN - millions of devices have already done that for you. So a simple pushbutton-to-send, watch what happens, review the results is best. Trying to determine what’s happening if you are sending every minute, which is in direct breach of the Fair Use Policy, doesn’t help. And the FUP asks that you have only 10 downlinks per device per day - most well designed systems do one a fortnight, if at all. Pushing the button twice in a minute is OK - what is of most concern is that a device is left on a send loop that just keeps on pumping out uplinks day-in-day-out whilst the developer is away from their desk.

If your radio is working, then why wait on a transmission at all - test your sensor code & logic with a dummy send that prints detailed results - then you can “send” as much as you like - if you can process the results that fast!

As TTN is a shared community resource that is kindly funded (in terms of tens of thousands of dollars a month) by The Things Industries, we do like to hear that the FUP is being respected - you don’t need to figure out the best option - thousands of us here have already done that for you. Which I guess is why you asked in the first place!

1 Like

Why do you think that? Are you trying to test LoRa radio and LoRaWAN functionality - dont bother millions have done that for you! Or test the sensor mechanism? - Do that offline, or you backend applications and database ability to ingress volume data? - do that using dummy feeds, dont stress the TTN backend infrastructure more than needed!

You may find this a useful resource (other calculators also available online - GIYF) - note the further the node/gw distance and/or the higher the intervening absorber values the high the SF is likely to be and hence the smaller the number of TX’s permitted to stay within TTN FUP.

https://avbentem.github.io/airtime-calculator/ttn/eu868

Dont misunderstand me, i absolute accept Fair access policy. Just saying some testing request more frequent sending or receiving. There are lots of details here and need time to understand all.
Rgds

“more frequent” is not a number so it’s not clear if, as well as accepting it, that you are actually adhering to the FUP …

This is pretty much the only “price of the service” - because if this goes wrong, we may wake up one day to find it has hard limits imposed.

There is a lot of detail and we are here to help - a forum search will reveal why downlinks are a bad thing because of the impact on the surrounding airwaves and the LoRaWAN devices.

If you can tell us what you are building and what resources you have, we can guide you further.

1 Like

Just curiosity matter, what about sensors like occupancy sensor, or person counter sensor, even temp/ humidity sensor should sent data more frequently than once a day or so. Anyway is there any counter to check how much data I spent or I have to calculate by self ? Unfortunately there is big step between free usage (under FUP, mostly for amateur, testing or small business) and payable business account.
Rgds

You should always be aware and do this anyhow as part of your due dillegance before using/deploying… not only is there the FUP under TTN - social responsibility and ‘contract’ between you and TTI/TTN Community in exchange for using the service, but more imporantly there are legal limits in most parts of the world… You are deploying an unlicensed radio transmitter & unintended consequences of not ensuring you comply legally can be severe! :policeman: :police_car: :judge: !

@Jeff-UK linked to the calculator above. But generally for things that can change slowly, like temp/humidity, there’s never an issue - once every two hours unless there is a bigger change should be more than enough.

If you need to calculate things at the limits of the FUP, that’s probably not a good fit for LoRaWAN regardless of if it is moved to a paid for instance.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.