Retrieving deleted LoRaWAN gateway

Hello,
We are using a Browan LoRaWAN gateway for our thesis. When trying to register it on TTN console as a gateway we had some issues but didn’t think much of it. Not knowing the gateway ID could not be used after registering it once ( we thought it could be used by the same user if deleted mulitple times) we just deleted the gateway, but can’t register it again. On the documentation it states that you can still retrieve it, but we can’t really find further explanation on how or where to retrieve it.
Anyone that can help?
Edit: the 24 hours mentioned in the documentation haven’t passsed.
Thanks in advance

Dear,

I am facing similar problem with RAK wireless 7246G. Can we contact over < redacted >

This is documented Troubleshooting Gateways | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN.

Only administrators can retrieve deleted identifiers. You can simply recreate your gateway using a different ID.

Thank you,
After some digging we found out that it’s already registered under another name that we don’t recognise.
But i assume the problem is on the gateway side that also doesn’t have the correct software update.

This won’t impact anything on the console and it won’t affect any issues related to your deletion / re-instatement.

But always good to have up to date firmware on the gateway.

1 Like

Thanks i thought it could have been the gateway ID that has an issue even if it’s a new gateway. The gateway ID isn’t 16 decimals long as is required for the EUI. After trying to put 00 00 in front as someone suggested on another forum, it says the ID is already in use. I’m already in contact with the manufacturer as they can probably help me further with this issu.

You will not believe how much more we can help if you tell us what model of gateway you are using.

But there is a wrinkle that you should be aware of.

On TTS, Gateway ID is the identifier you create to help you identify it. The rules about reuse are fully documented on the link above.

For anyone else reading along or finding this via Google, there is no good reason for deleting a gateway unless specifically instructed to do so. It has no impact on the gateway hardware and the whole gateway <-> LNS comms is sufficiently simple that even I can describe it.

HOWEVER, the original software used on gateways, called the Packet Forwarder, frequently uses the term ‘Gateway ID’ when what it actually means is Gateway EUI. This is NOT the Gateway ID on the console - you would use that in the Gateway EUI field.

To keep us all on our toes, some gateways don’t have or need an EUI. These are fully documented, so you will know this when you read the docs.

And some gateways, the TTIG which is actually a Browan mini hub, don’t have a 16 digit unique code in some areas (like the back of the case) and need, as per the documentation, some digits adding in the middle. This is a universal hack and involves the digits FF FE in the middle. The TTIG is kind enough when you set it up to show the full EUI on the web page.

If you setup a Raspberry Pi as a gateway, the software may use the Ethernet MAC address which is only 12 digits, so the same procedure of adding FF FE in to the middle is required.

If you are using a more modern gateway that runs Basic Station you still need the EUI but it is usually obviously marked EUI and not ID.

1 Like

Thanks the gateway we are using is a Browan femto LoRaWAN gateway with with item nr° WLRGFM-100-EU868. I’ll look more into the digits in the middle.