RN2483 "radio set pwr" vs "mac set pwridx" to improve range

You should only be using “mac set pwridx” command with TTN. The “radio set pwr” command is only there for testing in static setups, i.e. no protocol, so it will be quickly over-written if the mac layer is active.

It is unlikely that the RN2483 module is damaged, they are quite robust. My guess would either be software configuration or a wrong antenna supplied with the kit. I would trust a random wire antenna better. You could try soldering a 8.6cm wire to one of the kits and see if it makes a difference.

Come to think of it, you mention using a terminal and USB connection to control the Mote. There is a chance your PC is injecting noise over the USB connection. Try reverting to the stock application on the Mote and test in standalone mode with battery power for minimal noise.

As I recall the RN2483 has a SX127x fitted ?

I have certainly damadged a fair few SX127xs as fitted on DRF1278F and RFM9x modules over the years since 2015 due in the main to my own carelessness operating them without antennas etc.

The symtoms of damage are normally extreme short range, due to measured power output being almost non-existant.

Thanks JDP… that helps my appreciation of the two power commands.
I’ve ordered some new antennae and new (different) motes to try to appreciate where the problem sits.
Regarding the usb… I only use that for config and then revert to standalone, battery mode… but an interesting observation.

Hi LoRaTracker
Interesting comment, but I cannot find any reference to SX127…though I see your point.
The board I’m using is the microchip DM164138 with the RN2483 on board.
It has a connector in place for the 868 antenna and a through hole for the 433 “wire”.
I have just used it out of the packet… it was meant to be an easy intro !

It’s (hidden from users point of view) part of the rn2483 module.

Which Semtech LoRa device do you think the RN2483 is using ?

It seems that Kersing has a better appreciation than me.
I am simply using the device / dev board as an integrated unit to try to appreciate LoRa / LoRaWAN capabilities and limitations. I am currently viewing it as a functional block that may (or may not) have relevance in a larger system. At this point I trust that the devices comply with the appropriate specs and just evaluate them from an operational perspective.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.