Setting up a MultiTech Conduit mLinux gateway

Bonus points for getting a student to run it on a simple Raspberry Pi set up ! :wink: You dont need much (if I understand correctly)…and if IT get shirty and wont allow on school network connect the Pi to a WiFi/MiFi 3G/4G dongle with a few £$€/mo cellular data plan and go independent! :slight_smile:

Yes, PHP in the repro above, doesn’t even need configuring as it writes to text files.

IT just need to provide a web server end point that you can play with - which they may not be so keen on as it is technically a hole in the firewall but it is only an http request - hardly an ssh login.

If not, run MQTT on a machine in the office - code provided in the repro.

@Jeff-UK does gateways but not integrations, so don’t put it on a dongle, you could burn through all your credit for the duration of the project and then it will stop catching data and the IP address has to be visible to the internet at large - use MQTT on a machine with a big “Do not touch” sign, no screen saver & the console visible so you can see the incoming data. But still bonus points for any student that can put that together on a Pi - should take about an hour.

Or splurge $5/month on a Linode.

Completely different perspective: why use your own gateway? I assume that all this takes place in Utrecht. There are more than 80 gateways active there. They just pass on the data from the nodes to TTN. I myself use a raspberry with a RAK 2245 gateway, which is cheap and works fine.

1 Like

Hi andreas,
I live about 20 kilometers from Utrecht :slight_smile: so the gateways in Utrecht itself do not cover our area; but since it is still relatively close, I gave the Utrecht community a shot!

Also, as called out many times on the forum, if you have your own GW and are developing a node there can be advantage in being able to see the GW traffic - locally or in TTN console - to assist troubleshooting and diagnosis…and beside anther GW helps extend coverage and densify the network to the benefit of all! Go for it! :slight_smile:

I definitely agree with that! The last few weeks I have been debugging the project using a Kickstarter gateway - its range in the area is quite terrible (I also did not bother to install it properly), but it helps immensely to verify (non-)operation.
I just sent out our ‘real’ GW to the very helpful fellow kersing and let’s hope that we’ll be able to make it function properly again - this time with our own credentials and on TTN v3 :smiley:

Get a TTIG - very affordable, no setup other than WiFi credentials, highly portable, then you will always have a gateway to hand.

@Jeff-UK keeps one in his car.

Thanks to the great and awesome @kersing the gateway has been reset and is now fully functioning on TTN V3 plus we have the credentials to maintain and update the GW whenever necessary :smiley:
Next week the gateway will be set up at school and we will finally be able to test the range of our sensor boxes properly. All the help has been amazing, thank you very much!

2 Likes

Don’t be a stranger - I for one would be happy to suggest stretch tasks and resources for students - just ask, at worst I’ll just giggle and say no time, at best, I may already have the materials to hand.

You may also want to hook up with @pe1mew who is also university based.

1 Like

Obviously NOT as a mobile GW! :rofl: …worth carry one as, well you never know, when you might come across the chance to deploy a new GW!

…well actually now 3 - took a fresh delivery of spare units just yesterday :wink:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Same type of device at remote location fails to join