Setting up Multitech Conduit Gateway for TTN

@johan I would like to attend too. I will check if @eduardo can participate on Friday too.

1 Like

@johan that is what we have here to start playing:

I will meet with @eduardo tomorrow to start the setup of the DIY gateway.

1 Like

@johan me too pls. let me know how to hangout

Is that 2 MTAC-LORA cards for the Conduit? Thought it only supported a single one?

Andrew

One we will use with the conduit gateway and the other one with Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I ordered one as well for a DIY RPi Gateway. Will most likely have it running after the weekend.

1 Like

@johan: Any more info on Hangouts? I know you are very busy prepping.
— Re network: great progress/interesting details today.
Cheers.

I will post the link tomorrow. My presentation will be at 3 PM CEST.

After the presentation, I will publish the slides with the routing architecture as proposed. This should be considered a request for comments document.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks. Exciting.

Just had a call with Brandon from Multitech and we got the Conduit up and running with The Things Network. Just follow instructions from http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/lora/conduit-mlinux-convert-to-basic-packet-forwarder and configure it like this:

"gateway_conf" :
    {
            "forward_crc_disabled" : true,
            "forward_crc_error" : false,
            "forward_crc_valid" : true,  
            "gateway_ID" : "<GATEWAY_EUI>",
            "keepalive_interval" : 12,
            "push_timeout_ms" : 120,
            "serv_port_down" : 1700,
            "serv_port_up" : 1700,
            "server_address" : "croft.thethings.girovito.nl",
            "stat_interval" : 20,
            "synch_word" : 52            
    }

Don’t forget to add your gateway EUI.

Now, we have a storage issue on our back-end. Turns out that not all data is being routed correctly and stored as it should. Also, the packet forwarder does not seem to report it’s status, so it’s not appearing on ttnstatus.org. But, we get the raw data and it is accessible now through the API.

3 Likes

@johan thanks. It looks great. We will test it soon. One more question. We will use the Multitech mDot as the node to test. Is there any TTN specific firmware that needs to be loaded in the mDot so that it can be used in TTN or it is just the case to follow the instructions contained in the Multitech development guide of the mDot ?

Hi @KarlNL. Thanks for your tips. Regarding the mDot platform what we need is only the AT firmware or do we need to change or load any other TTN specific program/firmare in the mDot to make it sending data to TTN server through the MT Conduit Gateway with the LORA mCard?

If you want to quickly get started using the mDot with the factory AT firmware, see the Factory Firmware section of this page. If you want to use the mDot library and write your own application, see the Example Programs and mDot Library sections.

I’m hoping to setup an mDot to use TTN once I get my Conduit reconfigured.
I think you only need the public option set and enter the correct network name and key. The mDot should then be able to join TTN.
I only use the AT command firmware in a limited way for testing as I primarily develop using the mbed environment. There are more examples now than when I originally started looking at the mDot so this should help.

Cheers

Andrew

Got Conduit reconfigured, so how do I actually tell if its forwarding to TTN? Nothing shows up on the list of gateways if I use the api call. Does someone need the EUI to register it in the system?

thanks

Andrew

Hi @thinginnovations, I also experienced that the forwarder is not emitting gateway statuses. That’s why it doesn’t appear there.

Do you see data from your nodes in the API?

Hi @johan at present I wasn’t sure if my gateway was connecting or not. I am using mDot modules and as there doesn’t appear to be any previous example of them being used I’m having to work it out myself. At present I’m in the process of debugging a new node that hopefully should work if I actually knew the gateway was connected!

I tried the gateways API call with my gateway UID but it returns empty response.

Not had much time to look at this over the previous few days either, which doesnt help.

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew,

Brandon here from MultiTech. Yes, you can use the mDot with TTN. When I had the call with @johan, I was using an mDot (with AT Command Firwmare) to send data to TTN. To configure the mDot, follow the instructions on the page @johan linked to. The only unique configuration peice for TTN is the network and data session keys for which you need to use the default key on this page. But in fact the mDot’s default session keys are the same as TTN, so you’ll just need to confirm they match.

Then you can tail the packet forwarder log and see when lora packets are received. You won’t see the data, but you’ll see that a lora packet has been received.

-Brandon

4 Likes

Hey Brandon,

We meet again!! Thanks for helping out with my Conduit MTAC-Lora card replacement.

I’ve been looking at the packet forwarder logs and see that it isnt forwarding CRC errors so my mDot isnt yet setup correctly, but it almost there!

Thanks again

Andrew

Hi Brandon @brandon-multitech,
We’re using the AEP version. We want to enable local people to use NodeRED to set up devices. Johan has answered part of this question. Just want to get your take on it too — If we’re going to use NodeRED on the Local side before packets are sent to TTN, should we just tap in to TTN with MQTT. Or, is there another NodeRED enabled option planned! Thanks for all your help!
Patrick

Patrick,

Yes, as @johan has mentioned, you’ll either want to by-pass the Conduit Node-RED and use the TTN cloud network server, or use the Conduit’s local network server with Node-RED sending data to TTN application handler’s via MQTT.

-Brandon