Setting up Multitech Conduit Gateway for TTN

@gonzalocasas @kersing

Thanks for your support!

My gateway cons is exactly as kernings and I am using the latest firmware as per the instructions on Multitechs’ site. I don’t think 54.229.214.112 is configured to respond pings.

Yes, unfortunately the packet-forwarder is in binary form, cannot make the changes suggested.

I did installed Croft and pointed the gateway to this new server and still not getting the ACK.
The RabbitMQ is not showing any packages:

This is the output of Croft’s log:

@Lieutier the current back-end doesn’t ACK packets from the nodes: confirmed up is being implemented in the next version that will replace croft and jolie. Maybe that helps?

@Johan

Thanks much for your response. The ACK we are talking about it the one coming from the server to the Gateway. We can now see the packets reaching the server, however we cannot see the ACK on the log of the packet forwarder on the Multitech gateway.

@Lieutier I’ve build poly_packet_forwarder for MultiTech, you could try it to see if it helps.

Download installable package here.

Stop the running forwarder with /etc/init.d/lora-network-server stop

After installing with opkg install, go to /var/config/lora, save your current config, copy global_conf.json.sample to global_conf.json and edit to set the correct values in the gateway_conf section. (At least gateway_ID, server settings will require changing, neater is to set ref_latitude, ref_longitude, ref_altitude, contact_email and description to correct values as well)

Next edit /etc/init.d/lora-network-server and change the line 'pkt_fwd=/opt/lora/basic_pkt_fwd' to 'pkt_fwd=/opt/lora/poly_pkt_fwd'.

Restart using /etc/init.d/lora-network-server start and check the log file for results.

Hm, that ACK should work. I’ve seen them last weekend on MultiTech gateways. Can you send me the log file?

Also, which server are you using? croft.thethings.girovito.nl?

@kersing
Great work…thanks! We are using the 915MHZ device here, any changes to the config file? I have tried it and it seems that the gw is not receive any packets?

According to the sample config file, the poly forwarder sends the data to more than on server (i.e. Semtech and TTN?) and to a different port (1680) instead of 1700. Could you please explain ?

Many thanks!

@Lieutier
Config does require changes for 915Mhz. However I do not have the required frequency table to create a sample config. Could you provide me with the contents of the global_conf.json the original software uses?

The sample config uses local server and Semtech. I’ll update it for TTN.

Semtech has several LoRa servers, one for EU iot.semtech.com one for US us01-iot.semtech.com and one for China that I can’t remember:

Both servers use different ports !!! Check it here:

http://iot.semtech.com/resources/SiteHelp/
http://us01-iot.semtech.com/resources/SiteHelp/

Hi Lieutier. I have just gotten the multitech mLinux to send to TNN from Boston. My log looks like this for a successful packet:

##### 2015-11-18 20:15:22 GMT #####
### [UPSTREAM] ###
# RF packets received by concentrator: 2
# CRC_OK: 100.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets forwarded: 2 (72 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 1 (498 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 100.00%
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###
# PULL_DATA sent: 2 (0.00% acknowledged)
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)
# TX errors: 0
##### END #####

Not sure if this helps?

Robbo

@robbo
Could you check /var/run/lora/ to see if there is a file global_conf.json? If so, could you please post the contents (or send it to me privately) If there isn’t a file there could I get a copy of the contents of /var/config/lora/global_conf.json ?
I’m looking for the frequency settings for a 915MHz MultiTech setup.

Here we go:

{
	"SX1301_conf" : 
	{
		"chan_FSK" : 
		{
			"bandwidth" : 250000,
			"datarate" : 100000,
			"enable" : false,
			"if" : 100000,
			"radio" : 0
		},
		"chan_Lora_std" : 
		{
			"bandwidth" : 500000,
			"enable" : true,
			"if" : 400000,
			"radio" : 0,
			"spread_factor" : 8
		},
		"chan_multiSF_0" : 
		{
			"if" : -300000,
		},
		"chan_multiSF_1" : 
		{
			"if" : -100000,
		},
		"chan_multiSF_2" : 
		{
		},
		"chan_multiSF_3" : 
		{
			"if" : 300000,
		},
		"chan_multiSF_4" : 
		{
			"if" : -300000,
			"radio" : 1
		},
		"chan_multiSF_5" : 
		{
			"if" : -100000,
		},
		"chan_multiSF_6" : 
		{
		},
		"chan_multiSF_7" : 
		{
			"if" : 300000,
		},
		"radio_0" : 
		{
			"freq" : 912200000
		},
		"radio_1" : 
		{
			"freq" : 913000000
		}
	},
	"gateway_conf" : 
	{
            "forward_crc_disabled" : true,
            "forward_crc_error" : false,
            "forward_crc_valid" : true,  
            "gateway_ID" : "my_ID",
            "keepalive_interval" : 12,
            "push_timeout_ms" : 120,
            "serv_port_down" : 1700,
            "serv_port_up" : 1700,
            "server_address" : "54.229.214.112",
            "stat_interval" : 20,
            "synch_word" : 52
	}
}

@Lieutier
Please download a new sample configuration for US 915Mhz frequencies from GitHub. Do not forget to set the correct gateway_id , position information (red_latitude etc) and contact information before use.

@robbo Thank you very much.

@Robbo thanks for sharing your results. My config is the same as yours , my results are the same as yours only that PUSH_DATA acknowledged is always 0.00%.

@Kersing - Used your poly_forward binary and got the seam results, packets forwarded but ACK = 0%

Not sure why on the downstream i got 50% ack.

Thanks again for your support!

@johan

YEs I am using croft.thethings.girovito.nl, tried with ip address as well.
Log files is the same as the ones I’ve seen around:

“gateway_conf” :
{
“forward_crc_disabled” : true,
“forward_crc_error” : false,
“forward_crc_valid” : true,
“gateway_ID” : “my_EUI”,
“keepalive_interval” : 12,
“push_timeout_ms” : 120,
“serv_port_down” : 1700,
“serv_port_up” : 1700,
“server_address” : “croft.thethings.girovito.nl”,
“stat_interval” : 20,
“synch_word” : 52
}

1 Like

Thought my personal step by step directions to get this set up might be useful to others.

MultiConnect Conduit mLinux setup with Ethernet connectivity for The Things Network

These instructions are designed to enable a non-expert to set up the MultiTech MultiConnect Conduit mLinux LoRaWAN gateway and Multitech Mdot LoRaWAN node to forward packets to The Things Network (TTN).
The instructions are a collation of the MultiTech documentation as well as information from TTN forum and Wiki.

Step 1

Setting up the MultiConnect conduit mLinux requires a little understanding of Linux, basic networking, and using Terminal tools to access the Conduit. I downloaded and installed TeraTerm to SSH into the Conduit and WinSCP to copy over firmware updates. WinSCP is also useful to use as a general File Explorer for those of us who do not love the command line.

The first step is to install and connect the Lora radio hardware as described here. My Conduit model is a MTCDT-210L-US-EU-GB and does not include cellular connectivity.

As I was setting this up on a company network I needed to work with IT to get the Connect on the network with Ports 1700 opened for UDP traffic. For security reasons IT was not comfortable with putting me on the main network or even in the DMZ. Fortunately a separate network with a DSL modem was available on 192.168.1.xx for me to use.

Out-of-the box the Conduit comes configured to work on a 192.168.2.1 network with no DHCP so I followed the instructions in the MultiTech documentation to change the IP address to a fixed IP (In my case 192.168.1.49) with the gateway at 192.168.1.1 .

Note that the time zone in the documentation is for Chicago so you need to use your own time zone. In my case I ran:

ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York /etc/localtime

Step 2

The next step is to check the currently installed versions of the LoRa Server and Packet Forwarder following the MuliTech instructions here. In my case I had old versions and needed to upgrade.

I downloaded the new packages from the downloads page to my PC used WinSCP to connect to the Conduit. Use the Conduit’s IP address as the Host Name (i.e. 192.168.1.49 in my case).

I copied the new packages to /var/packages (this was simply my choice and there may be a convention that I am not aware of.)

I then installed them by going to the /var/packages directory using TeraTerm and running them using:

$ opkg install lora-packet-forwarder_1.4.1-r8.16_arm926ejste.ipk
$ opkg install lora-network-server_0.0.8-r0.0_arm926ejste.ipk

As described in the Multitech documentation.

Step 3

Convert mLinux to a basic packet forwarder to The Things Network using the instructions on the MultiTech site and on The Things Network forum.

Note that the gateway configuration for TTN is as follows:

"gateway_conf" :
{
        "forward_crc_disabled" : true,
        "forward_crc_error" : false,
        "forward_crc_valid" : true,  
        "gateway_ID" : "<GATEWAY_EUI>",
        "keepalive_interval" : 12,
        "push_timeout_ms" : 120,
        "serv_port_down" : 1700,
        "serv_port_up" : 1700,
        "server_address" : "54.229.214.112",
        "stat_interval" : 20,
        "synch_word" : 52            
}

Don’t forget to add your EUI from the MTAC-LORA accessory card. Note that I used a fixed IP rather than croft.thethings.girovito.nl since I did not set up the Conduit for DNS.

Step 4

Set up your mDot using manual join as described on the MultiTech site using the settings from TTN wiki.
Setting Up the mDot Using Manual Join

1. Establish a serial connection to the mDot
  2. Connect your PC to the DB9 serial connector on the UDK – (I had to buy a USB to serial adapter from Amazon to do this. Odd that Multilink did not use on-board USB to serial to do this.)
  3. Open a terminal session using an application such as TeraTerm with baud rate 115,200
  4. Issue these commands:
    AT+NJM=0 (manual join mode)
    AT+PN=1 (public network mode)
    AT&W=7 (915 NA only | value = frequencySubBand from your Conduit)
    AT+NSK=2B7E151628AED2A6ABF7158809CF4F3C (TTN network session key)
    AT+DSK=2B7E151628AED2A6ABF7158809CF4F3C (value = Data (application) session key for your application)
    AT+NA=02013E00 (value = 4-byte device address – Boston currently has a 256 block at 02:01:3E:xx see http://thethingsnetwork.org/wiki/AddressSpace. You may need to add your own block if your group does not have one already.)
    AT&W (save settings)
    ATZ (restart)
  5. Send data without requesting an ACK:
    o AT+ACK=0
    o AT+SEND=Hello from Boston

Step 5

Check TTN rest API using your browser to see if your message came through by going to:
http://thethingsnetwork.org/api/v0/nodes/your_device_address/ and replace your_device_address with your own device address. If successful you should see data like this returned:

{
    "node_eui": "02013E00",
    "gateway_eui": "00000008004A02BD",
    "data_plain": "Hello from Boston",
    "_id": "564cd7127585d2ea79ada581",
    "time": "2015-11-18T19:52:50.281Z",
    "data_raw": "QAA+AQIABwABIpIHLG7lKVjXia0lOpRtIScfJXlQ",
    "data": "SGVsbG8gZnJvbSBCb3N0b24="
},

You can also run tail -f /var/log/lora-pkt-fwd.log as described in the documentation and view the log using the Conduit terminal session.
A successful result should look something like this:

##### 2015-11-18 20:15:22 GMT #####
### [UPSTREAM] ###
# RF packets received by concentrator: 2
# CRC_OK: 100.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets forwarded: 2 (72 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 1 (498 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 100.00%
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###
# PULL_DATA sent: 2 (0.00% acknowledged)
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)
# TX errors: 0
##### END #####

If you have trouble you can post questions on TTN forum here.

6 Likes

might be worth adding this as a wiki entry

Andrew

1 Like

Here a mBed code to send a hello world to TTN.

https://developer.mbed.org/users/ropu/code/mDot_LoRa_example_TTN_connect/

this should replace the terminal commands.

Just got my Buenos Aires TTN Multitech gateway working!

http://thethingsnetwork.org/api/v0/nodes/0201BA01/

thanks for all the help

1 Like

Good walk through @robbo. Just one clarification. The EUI in the gateway config should be the EUI of the MTAC-LORA accessory card instead of the Conduit.

-Brandon

@brandon-multitech Thanks for the correction. I made the update. Is there a way to query the EUI from the command line? I must have used the wrong EUI but it still worked?