Smart Parking Solution by The Things Network and Libelium

https://thethingsnetwork.pr.co/168351-smart-parking-solution-by-the-things-network-and-libelium

an unreasonable price per sensor to almost any customer … sheikhs apart from Dubai :slight_smile:

Alex

1 Like

where did you find the price per sensor ?

Lib do several (parking sensor) starter kits (10 nodes?) that are available through market places. Typ >€4K per kit for LoRa with different NS & node vendors…interesting that their kit for sigfox is <<€3k…I guess no gw needed?!

MultiConnect ConduitTM IP67 Base Station costs about 1k€, I deduct then that 10 sensors cost about 3000€

Alex

PS maybe in the kit there is some service already included, which apart would have its cost. Is that it BoRRoZ?

Yes it is, Sigfox does not need a Gateway

Alex

Alex sorry I don’t know if there’s management software included or sla or something like that.

The only thing I know is that a number of TTN members are interested in testing these sensors, writing code for it ect ect. and of course they only want to buy one or two.
So my suggestion for the manufacturers is… present a dev kit with 2 sensors and good documentation
for a reasonable price … they are maybe you future customers ! :wink:

but if they do not lower the price per single sensor it will be difficult anyway. I understand they want to go back to development costs but they risk being confined to Dubai customers :slight_smile:

considering the partnership with TTN also suggest a kit without a gateway, many of us even have more than one :slight_smile:

Alex

Well I don’t have a market overview… but there are competitors.
Anyway… it’s not TTN that sets these prices.

I know that… but the newsletter say exactly “Smart Parking Solution by The Things Network and Libelium” :slight_smile:

Alex

While true when deployed close to that gateway, remember that the sensors will be at/below street level. If I understand correctly, then this dramatically limits their LoRa range. (Fresnel zone, and a metal vehicle parked on top of it?) So, I’m afraid many gateways are needed when these kind of sensors are deployed in the streets.

(The city I work at would like to deploy sensors in disabled/handicapped parking places only, which are scattered around town. Surprisingly expensive, and all offers include monthly fees, and not a word about their expected range. I’d rather deploy sensors in sign poles or street lights, a few meters above street level to increase the wireless range, and to make installation and maintenance while the parking spot is occupied much easier, while its housing is not subject to road salt either.)

3 Likes

Just logged in to say basically same!

For me that also makes the Sigfox pricing artificial as chances are that even if you believe their ‘blanket’ coverage marketing (just look at UK claimed coverage!) the reality is when you come to develop on the desk top there is no coverage (a la Cell coverage) and when placing in ground there is no hope! :wink: (Fresnel zone issues being only one problem as you say). Having a GW close by for test and to eliminate other variables is a must have, then once deploying you need access to readily available network of reasonably close GW’s (low SF, high angle if incidence etc.). For me that is where LoRaWAN & TTN can win out.

Also analysis by several clients has shown Sigfox a none starter for apps such as parking as uplink message limit/day is far too low for anything other than a little used parking spot as rapid traffic/parked car changes exhaust capacity in hours…minutes! As for 4 per day down link limit… :wink:

As @BoRRoZ states suppliers need to consider small bundles for dev purposes and small scale trials. I disagree with just 1 or 2 though as experience suggests you need to consider adjacent slot deployments, impact of badly parked cars (it isnt just owners of expensive cars or large SUV/trucks who will straddle spaces, either to avoid door pings or just because of shear size) needs to be considered as does adjacent slot false detection so I’ve seen people consider 6 or event 10 sensors (some times more) as realistic min for any reasonable in ground test. Having just one or two to test on the bench is good for engineering/tinkering curiosity but of little real world value so can understand suppliers not being enthusiastic on that level :slight_smile:

true… but I was thinking exactly what Arjan said… range testing to your gateway and maybe some soft developments.
but agree… a 'dev kit. with 10 sensors and a gateway + antenna material is nicer :sunglasses:

with one sensor you can trigger an alarm for a driveway for example

Simple inductive wire loop simpler & cheaper for 1 off drive way monitor…? :wink: Doesnt need to be ruggedised to same degree as a housing that gets driven over and Ant/Node can be off to side and more easily placed/seen from RF POV vs ground embedded. Can also monitor full drive width vs parking sensors which tend to be small area focused.

hmmmm… no disagree