Smoke detector

They told you in their email answer, 1.0.2.

You will have to select the EU plan - using the recommended plan unless you have explicit instructions to use something else, which would be unusual.

There are no other details you need but there are other entry boxes for which the defaults will be fine.

TTN does not use SF12 for Rx2 - the Rx2 details will be transmitted to the device when it joins on OTAA.

1 Like

Oh, I dont get you, they wrote they are using 1.0.1 - And they wrote that their devices are sending SF12.

I added the device, selected LoraWAN Version MAC v1.0.1 with regional Parameters Version PHY V1.0.1 (what greyed out for sure) and selected Frequency Plan Europe 863-870 MHz (SF12 for RX2) instead of SF9 for RX2 (recommended) -

Before I was in contact with the support I used the SF9 recommended setting - A few minutes ago my newly bought Smoke-Detector arrived - and yes - for the first time I do have AppEUI/DevEUI/ AND Appkey yeah…

But again, I can see no join request - I also know, now I have to wait till the next Joinrequest may apear what can take up to 24h…

I expected that the device should have joined at once, and if there ist no successfull-joind answer, the device will try that again 4 times but not more that 20 mins max and then again unspecific after midnight daily again untill JoinAccepted…

How long did that last in you experience?

Really? So you already knew? We are volunteers here and you want me to read the email more than once - I don’t have time and btw, German is my third language. As I said above, calling us out will diminish our enthusiasm to assist.

There is no where on the console to say “this device transmits at SF12”, mostly because that’s not how it works and also the LoRaWAN alliance is required to restrict devices that do that. Rx2 is for receiving, not sending.

I don’t know what the re-join retry time is for the Zenner but usually removing the power will encourage a re-join. There is no standard - some devices will try several times in the first hour, some badly designed ones will just keep trying and some are more relaxed.

Did you see a join request on the gateway console?

descartes - I thank you for your support as volunter - How can I ask my questions without making you angry? I try my very best - I see it is not good enough - sorry for that.

I think we are talking about different things, I will upload this 2 screenshost. They show the way I have to add a device in TTN V3. I MUST choose a frequency Plan. I am not able to add a device without it.

Oh I see am not able to upload a pic, only embbeded …

You see what I mean on Pic2?

If I was angry you’d know.

I am aware you have to choose a frequency plan. You have selected the correct frequency plan. But you keep referring to the device sending at SF12 on Rx2 which isn’t possible for a device as devices don’t send in Rx2, they listen.

You can, if you choose, just pick the frequency plan you have and just carry on without learning about LoRaWAN. But at some point you may find being vague on details trips you up.

Of course it matters. Choose the value they told you they are using, 1.0.1. And choose the TTN recommended value for EU868, SF9 is fine and works without any issues (at least it does in V2).

Did you see join requests in the application console? If not one of the values (DevEUI, AppEUI or AppKey) is probably wrong. If you do see join requests you need to make sure there is at least 5 meters (and preferably a wall) between the zenner and the gateway.

That won’t work as the battery is non replaceable (and not disconnectable) in these units. Makes sense as there are too many smoke detectors where people remove the batteries only to forget to replace them. The batteries in these units should last 5+ years.

You are right, I know about the batterie stuff - at least tonight I have a successfull Join request, the suggestion with the 5m (or more) did it. I think that was the missing link, thank you! I had the router and the device on my Desk before. The smoke detector is in a different room in my office now. At about 2 o’clock tonight local time “we had a lift off”…

Thank you!