The BIG and SMALL ANTENNA topic part 2

For lightning protection it needs to be a dedicated directly bonded line taking the energy directly down to local ground (earth) with appropriate installation… not an amateur task at all…as Jac says consult with an electrician on that.

Note the googled description is poor. The fibre glass is just an environmental protection… a weather proof housing if you will. The monopole element will be mounted coaxial inside it…though indeed connected to the centre conductor through (in the original case you called out) an N-Type connector, Or an SMA connector for the 2nd one.

As has been suggested, that is very dangerous.

That you even thought that might be a good idea is a strong suggestion that you ought to consult a professional electrician or antenna installer.

Using the mains Earth in this way might well be plain illegal, under the ‘Part P’ regulations what changes an individual can make to a electrical installation are very restricted these days.

Also remember that when using a gain antenna such as that you will need to work out how much you need to reduce your ‘Gateway’ transmit power so that it is still legal to use.

Hi,
Beautifully made antenna, but I wonder where the mount is? In general, the grip of another pipe should be under the counterweights. In other words, how is that antenna fixed?

Does anyone know where to purchase this antenna? I am searching everywhere for an antenna with a downtilt, but cannot find one. This one is perfect!!!

I think this is the antenna on the RAK Wireless store… Its the only antenna with the range 860-903MHz on their store and the document with the polar plots for this antenna (follow the links) are the one’s I remember as RAK rotated the plots and added the antenna symbol based on the discussion in this forum at the time. At the time of the discussion in this forum it was called a 6dBi antenna but now is called 5.8dBi, but if you look in the documents it refers to the antenna as being 6dBi. I can’t be 100% certain its the same antenna but all the documents seem to suggest it is.
Fiber Glass Antenna | LoRa High Gain Antenna | Long Range Frequency Antenna – RAKwireless Store

Wow, you are correct @TonySmith. I came across that document folder several times but got thrown off by the 5.8. Thank you!

1 Like

The downtilt of this antenna depends on the frequency you want to use. It’s not unusual that this kind of antennas get a downtilt if they are “to long”.
It’s not easy to achieve a good downtilt with only one antenna, but most of the time the missing downtilt is compensated by the high snd free position of the antenna and the fact that a significant downtilt is only necessary for nodes nearby.
On the other hand a LoRa antenna with high gain is totally useless if it radiates most of the RF-power into the sky. Sometimes a 3dBi antenna can be better then a 10dBi antenna. Additionally, depending on where you are, you have to take care not to exceed the EIRP limit with a high gain antenna.
btw: nearly nobody will recognise a difference of 0.2dB. This is less than the measurement uncertainty of many RF-labs.