The LIBRARY basement part 11

read 'EU plans … ’ shutup

Webinar%20hosted%20by%20Semtech%20and%20Birdz

This seriously under calls the problem in the market in many ways - here the issue is largely the lack of opportunity to update OS & Apps to remove privacy/security issues discovered over time, however, of greater concern is the regular occurance of phones with built in malware.

At the end of the summer my sister-in-law complained to vising family that her phone was unresponsive and impossible to use any websites before various nefarious ones popped up and loaded games and other ‘crap’. When asked it seems problem had started within weeks of starting to use (as she doesnt use much on internet prefering to use PC & tablet - mostly phonecalls & texts) and problems had rapidly snowballed. Family who were visiting her at time brought it back to me to look at and had real battle to clean up. Wouldnt allow loading new apps from Google Apps store - atleast blocked any secuty apps so I purged most none core files and folders and took it back as far as I could to a bare metal Android 7 build and finally got it onto the stoer and loaded AV & Anti-malware programmes, some failed immediately despite installing others crawled through the system calling out all sorts of viruses & malware. Over several days I was able to purge all I could leaving just 1 problem item.

Turned out that system programme ‘Wireless Update’ accessed from the About Device menu - earlier known as Software update - used to check online for new os or Android security updates is actually corrupted/compromised in factory bulld and cannot be repaired or replaced or removed as it is flagged as a system programme. As experiment we ran phone for a day or two vising well reputed sites only - sure enough within minutes the crapware loads started again. RInsed back to just Wireless Update problem and repeated - same story. Bottom line is factory ships with malware pre-installed - no doubt in exchage for a nice subsidy! :wink:

For the record the device was a Gretel G1 - she bought in cheap on a 2 for 1 deal and gave other to a friend (red flag anyhow for offer too good to be true!) and failed to read online reviews (e.g. Amazon - where others flagged pre-installed malware). As it happened her friends phone apparently ‘burnt out’ within days - didnt get to know if wall-wart PSU or phone itself - either way all went straight in recycling bin!..still at least friend didnt get to use properly and so wasnt compromised wrt security/privacy…

In looking for a low cost replacement for her I found online references to many other similarly compromised ex-factory cheap chinese/far east builds…in the words of a previously well know TV programme - “Be careful out there”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

32%20PM
BT510 - BTv5 Long Range IP67 Multi-Sensor

mapper

1 Like

lorawanlive

taoglass

1 Like

reading2019
14th & 15th October READING TOWN HALL - UK

mcf88

preview

Glasgow%20Interface%20Explorer
Glasgow Interface Explorer for exploring digital interfaces

paintedcow
Cows painted with zebra-like striping can avoid biting fly attack

:thinking: ’ will this work on humans too ?’

You can have a complete development environment on a Windows PC to create and debug C++ programs for Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, and other Linux devices.

nobelprice

:clap: