The Things Gateway without documentation

Hi there,
I have a Things Gateway without documentation. As a result I cannot connect to the network. I bought it secondhand last year but have lost all documentaion. As a result I don’t have the Gateway EUI.
How can I retrieve this information?
Thanks for your help.
Jack

Have you bothered to read the online documentation (TTN/TTI) for installing the GW? Clue/spoiler TTKGW doesn’t need an eui to register… :slight_smile:

Look here: The Things Kickstarter Gateway | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

Hi
I am newby at Lora and thinking of buying a gateway to start learning. The below link is the one I am looking at, can somebody tell me if this is the gateway mentioned here? And also if I can connect to the cloud server to send data ? I’m going to have to read up on it first, but just want to make the purchase.

Many thanks
Scott

Hi, getting a gateway is like getting a can of petrol but no car. And vice versa. Devices are where the action is at. The TTIG doesn’t have a display or anything to look at - just the web console which will get old very quickly. Whereas having a device send data that is relayed to your phone for instance is much more satisfying.

Depending on where you are you may have gateways in range, but overall you need a gateway and a device to play with.

I’ve got to cook supper, so here’s an older post that still stands:

Hi
Thanks for the reply . I am an electronic engineer and programmer, and purchased the Lora-E5 Development kit. So was looking for a gateway. I do a lot of design with the STM32 and see the E5 has one inside , so looking forward testing it. So is this gateway good enough to test connecting to the server and send data? Just about to start looking at YouTube in learning Lora etc

Thanks
Scott

Reviewing your first post, I see you’ve tacked your question on to a The Things Outdoor Gateway which may have been a KickStarter thing and is ‘an older model’ with a set of foibles you don’t want to get in to. So you can safely ignore everything above your question. However forum search (go on, you know you want to) will reveal some interesting ways you can ignore the instructions for a TTIG which makes it look a bit foiblish but it is generally the owner with the foibles and no patience.

No, it’s just a plastic case with a USB-C port with some Haribo inside.

Ask a silly question …

It is in fact a compliant LoRaWAN gateway manufactured on behalf of & provisioned by The Things Industries who own The Things Network - so The Things Indoor Gateway not only connects to The Things Stack and receives uplinks & passes them on and is able to send downlinks (in the context of that being an occasional thing as downlinks are bad for puppies), but it can also play the piano, but not the top half of the keyboard.

I’ve got three, two from RS and one was a present from a colleague. One of mine thinks it’s American but I use it upside down for an Australian project. All of them are doing sterling duty, even if the 915 model is still very hung over after Australia Day yesterday.

It’s an indoor gateway, you can hack it (once you’ve got over the learning hump) if you feel the need for a better antenna & a debug port, perhaps put it in a waterproof box & run it on solar. It’s not got lots of bells & whistles but the only person in the world who actually gets excited by gateways is @Jeff-UK. The rest of us just use them for the device & data bit.

If you want to use the forum search (please do), you can bike shed yourself in to a stupor with recommendations for gateways. Most of which will be meaningless as you won’t have any context. Like buying a 1500cc motorbike before you have even got your licence to learn.

But if you must, then the other entry level contenders that are entirely compliant and able to do the job as well as one three times the price just not in a bullet proof case etc etc is the Dragino LPS8 or LIG16.

Nope the original Things Gateway (TGW) sometimes aka The Things Kickstarter Gateway (TKGW) is an Indoor GW that finally started to ship out late 2017 after a couple of years in development and many delays - and yes some had issues in early days. The Things Outdoor Gateway(TTOG) was announced just over a year later alongside the Things Indoor Gateway (TTIG) at the 2019 Things Conference in Amsterdam. Many attendees received a TTIG at the event, with commercial units shiping a couple of months later, the TTOG started to ship some weeks (a couple of months?) after that. IIRC TKGW was essentially a Microchip + a US Design House (forget name now) doing Conc Card development around the SX1301 chipset, another Taiwanese? Design house (TTGN?) doing the software dev & system design with TTI core team and Gemtek or similar Far East ODM/OEM doing the build. Again IIRC the TTIG was a Gemtek ODM design based on the reduced spec SX1308, that was originally the Tracknet indoor Hub, later adopted by others inc TTN when the core of Tracknet team absorbed back into Semtech in mid 2018. I think the TTOG was a Gemtek ODU, again based on the SX1301. TTOG & TKGW very different animals…

Excited? Not really but I do enjoy the challenge of deploying and testing a range of them, inc playing with solar :wink: and have lots in the field - personally or through clients - including both TKGW & many TTIG’s but sadly never a TTOG… guess not excited enough as through Covid era and lately the supply of eval units from suppliers & manufacturers who wanted me to test/eval, critique and ref out if ok has kinda dried up - pity as could do with some new units to get teeth into again now access to possible community deployment sites is opening up again :slight_smile: :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the reply, cheers.

So it boils down to that it’s good to learn on, and can do all is required to learn how to upload and download to nodes, then save to the server on the cloud.

Cheers
Scott

That’s got some complications in the thinking. There is one small black box in the system - the gateway. And one configurable conduit that is a ginormous black box of servers that spits out your uplinks to the destination of your choice.

Devices transmit in the ether.

Gateways listen for LoRa chirps and process them, if they pass a basic error check, they relay it on to their Network Server. A gateway is a dumb media convertor that turns electromagnetic radiation in to IP packets. That’s ALL. There is no handshaking, no access requests, no nothing and very definitely no connections - devices do not connect to a gateway.

As such you don’t learn how to upload and download to nodes. You plug a gateway in, setup as per manual and leave it the heck alone.

All of the action is on the nodes.

On the console, you configure the information that identifies the node/device & provides an encryption mechanism. You also configure a destination for your uplinks. You look at the console whilst debugging. Otherwise you leave it the heck alone.

On your server you receive the uplinks and then do whatever with them and reap the rewards of your genius. Saving on a server in the office / home / cloud is up to you.

I can’t recommend the links in the linked post enough. I went from zero to hero/moderator/PitA inside 18 months off the back of them, although I did know embedded, radio & LoRa before hand. But LoRa is a chip that is very much a black box - stuff commands in, get electrons waggled on the output. The radio & embedded bit is more important.

This “official” video straight from The Architect is a bit of a mind blast so be ready with the pause button, some is to gloss over for a later date, some is essential early learning:

Many thanks Nick. I will take a look at the video, thanks.

What happens if the server is down, do all the packets get lost that would have been sent, or are they saved till the server is back on line , then there resent?

Many thanks
Scott

Read the docs! Setup a couple of devices!

In short, the “server” is a cluster so uptime is good, but yes, no servers, no processing. Firmware can save but has no way of knowing the servers are down. Many discussions about this on the forum so please learn to search - we are volunteers so we get bored easily. Working metric is 10% overall packet loss. I tend to see ~1% but I’m in Bolton which isn’t replete with devices so not much air traffic, just lots of Helium Miners.

Which I think should read:
We are volunteers answering questions and get bored easily when the same question gets asked over and over so we tend to stop answering them apart from pointing to search.

As a volunteer I don’t get bored with the technology and new uses. But those repeating questions…

4 Likes