Things Node not showing up on Linux - reset button not working?

Hello, first post! Hope someone can help me with troubleshooting the The Things Node.

I’m trying activate and use the The Things Node (model TTN-002-868-1.0), but for some reason it isn’t detected by the OS. On my Linux box (Fedora) there is nothing in dmesg and lsusb doesn’t show it either. In the Arduino IDE the “Port” menu is grayed out. I see the same on OSX. The node seems to be working because I see a led that switches to green and then some blue blinks now and then.

I followed the troubleshooting guide (“Bricked”), but there is no led indication when I press the reset button once or twice. As I understand it should turn on and fade away after a while.

Is there something more I can try? I see there are 6 dots above the reset button. Is that for burning bootloader?

activate it using windows … it’s a linux arduino/ide problem

Oh, I don’t have Windows. Can I use OSX perhaps?

some mac’s have the same problem detecting the 32U4 that has a virtual port.
use search here or on google to get some more info… you’re not the first one.

I’m not entirely sure about why it needs Windows either, but seems worth a shot.

You say you don’t have Windows - I would suggest installing a copy of Windows 10 onto Virtualbox. You can use Win10 without a license temporarily, and you can redirect a USB device to the virtual machine.

This way you don’t need to mess around with partitions :wink:

Thanks, I’ve now mostly resolved the problem.

Some guidance to others that have problems with the Node on Linux:

1. Try different USB cables. I tested 4 cables (pretty sure they all have data), but only one worked. A short USB cable intended for a USB charger did the trick. A good command to use for checking if the device is recognized is watch -n.1 lsusb.

2. If the uploading fails take a look at the output in the Arduino IDE (turn on verbose output first). For me avrdude could write to the device, but it failed to read from it for the verification. But the sketch was uploaded and I could use it.

2 Likes

as also discussed here