TxParamSetupReq missing with AU915?

I am experimenting with AU915 and the LoRaMac device codebase. This defaults to AU915_DEFAULT_UPLINK_DWELL_TIME == 1 and I find this limits the payload length (e.g. to 11 bytes rather than 51).

The spec says " AU915-928 end-devices MUST consider UplinkDwellTime = 1 during boot stage until reception of the TxParamSetupReq command."

Should I expect the TTN server to send a TxParamSetupReq message to change the dwell time? If not, why not? (I do not appear to receive this…)

1 Like

It seems the above quote is from the 1.0.3 Regional Parameters. As far as I know, the TTN Community network is at 1.0.2, for which the 1.0.2 Rev B Regional Parameters don’t specify anything like that?

It seems the overall RP002-1.0.1 LoRaWAN Regional Parameters defines the same as 1.0.3.

That document is described as:

This document combines regional parameters aspects defined in all LoRaWAN protocol specifications, with differences arising from LoRaWAN versions highlighted at each occurrence.

However, despite 1.0.2 not mentioning it, there’s no highlighting for the following:

AU915-928 end-devices SHALL consider UplinkDwellTime = 1 during boot stage until reception of the TxParamSetupReq command.

Nor for:

If the field UplinkDwellTime is set to 1 by the network server in the TxParamSetupReq command, AU915-928 end-devices SHALL adjust the time between two consecutive uplink transmissions to meet the local regulation. Twenty seconds (20s) are recommended between 2 uplink transmissions when UplinkDwellTime = 1 but this value MAY be adjusted depending on local regulation.

Fun fact: the previous version of that document was named RP2 rather than RP002. I feel the LoRaWAN specifications are really messy.