3D Printing

Nice cased :slight_smile: Can I ask why you don’t have it up on thingiverse? It’s the first place most people look, and there are very few LoRa parts there.

Mark

time is not the problem :sunglasses:

and you need to invest in studying design programs if you want to print your own creations, like with PCB design I think.

Yes, even with a fully assembled one need you to spend some time :
calibrating it , learning its software, learning how to tweak the settings to adapt to different filament/raw material, learning to draw 3D parts…

Also you need to understand what the machine can and cannot do : for instance that you cannot print a sphere without support, etc.

There always is a learning curve to climb. And I believe the time I spent building my first one have helped me going faster on the following steps - but that may not apply equally to everyone.

Yeah, I’ve got a Prusa Mk3 arriving in a week or so. The many, many hours I’ve spent stripping, rebuilding and modding my Wanhao definitely adds to your overall knowledge and experience, and will let me get much more out of the more fully-featured machine.

Before you talk yourself into getting one @BoRRoZ, I should mention that if you don’t intend to print very often you can outsource the actual printing to online services.
Just like you order PCBs online, this adds delay and price but usually you get top quality.

Mainly for historical reasons – There was a lot of discussions 4 years ago when Makerbot changed the Terms of Use of Thingiverse… So at that time I started posting on YouMagine.
But you are right, if you want to be found, you better publish on Thingiverse – maybe I should think about republishing some stuff over there as well :wink:

1 Like

don’t spoil the fun… but you’re right off course :wink:
I know someone who started with 3D printing, but after a while (6 months) he stopped and sold everything

As for the printer choice, today my vote would go to Jo Prusa with an MK3.
It is affordable, open source and give good results out of the box.
You can get an Asian clone for much less money, and tht’s fine as well, as long as you have time and are prepared to fiddle with it to get acceptable results…

1 Like

yes… I like it :rofl:

And that is a canonical RepRap derivative - Jo Prusa is doing real opensource. Approved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, they even insist on printing all the parts rather than mass producing them in China. They have a farm of hundreds of them in Prague:

farma2

3d

and what is this choice ? :sunglasses:

Unlike most printers, where your build surface is solid and you mess about with tape or other materials, and have to leverage the print off with a knife or similar - this one is magnetic. So when it’s printed you just remove the sheet, flex it, and the print pops off.

PEI is a well-regarded material to print on. The powder coating is Prusa’s own design and they’re having problems with yield right now.

so the ’ spring steel sheet with double-sided PEI sheet ’ is the best option ? that’s the magnetic one that can be moved when then print is ready … ?

They both are, it’s just the surface material that’s different.

And I can’t speak to the quality of the powder one, as nobody has them in the field yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Original Prusa is somehow the iPhone of DIY kits :slight_smile:
I was considering buying one, but I think it is too expensive for someone that does a print or two a month.

I think is a good approach. They are actually testing their printers making their printers

1 Like

Take care on the price. I’ve tried to buy a PET-G filament from them and even the start price was advertised as 19 EUR, before purchase was 32 EUR (after they add Tax and Shipping to Germany)

Depends on the climate where you are. I’ve got a cupboard full of PLA and PETG of various kinds, I don’t even have them in sealed bags. (I don’t tell the guys on the 3DP groups because they’ll only flame me :wink: )

2 Likes