3m uplinks and 555 days uptime

RPi + ic880a gateway in suburb of small city in the North of Scotland passes 3m uplinks:
cts-lw-3m
For those who doubt the RPi with microSD card… 555 days uptime:

$ uptime
 11:03:16 up 555 days, 17:00,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        14G  4.4G  8.3G  35% /
/dev/mmcblk0p6   66M   22M   45M  32% /boot
$

MicroSD card is SanDisk 16GByte.

1 Like

:+1: nice…

Nice one Tim. I have a couple of Pi gateways still chugging away in Edinburgh, one at 4.4m and one at 4.7m uplinks. I should throw the second one a 5m party soon…

Not quite that much uptime though, a few power cuts. On the plus side, the power cuts didn’t knacker the file systems!

Is it me or does the Transmitted Messages count seem low for this?

1 Like

:thinking: not really remember all GW’s in range of nodes will be counting uplinks, though only the rf closest equivalent/ strongest signal GW’s will be asked respond to acks, join request grants, command downlinks etc. Esp this can be low if the nodes the gw is servicing are essentially bubble-up nodes operating for long uptimes with any need to rejoin or asking for acts etc. I have some GW’s with quite high uplink counts 0.5-1.5m up with low downlink values where this is the case

Hi @jezd, the 3m uplinks includes non-TTN uplink traffic received, forwarded to the TTN core and then discarded at the core. In this case that’s a lot, probably >90% as I’m in the middle of a large SmartCity deployment of managed street-lighting that uses 35k LucyZodion lights and an OrbiWise LoRaWAN core. Obviously there won’t be any downlinks to those devices via my TTN gateway.
So I think that you’re both right and wrong. You’re right that an uplink:downlink ratio of 1000:1 would be odd for all-TTN traffic. You’re wrong in that we work in a multi-network world so the numbers are not simple and need more information to interpret them correctly. You could also be wrong that a better-placed gateway is doing all the downlink work.

1 Like

Wouldn’t those be using the private network preamble rather than the public network one?

The preamble detector does leak through mismatches, but at a lower rate than it would receive matches.

Hi @cslorabox, The OrbiWise traffic is all on device addresses from:

0x10/0x11 World: Orbiwise (0x08)

per the TTN documentation of LoRa Alliance assigned address prefixes, so I think that it’s public network traffic.

Device addresses and preambles are entirely distinct things.

Device address is a software construct, preamble effectively a hardware one handled inside the Semtech radio chips.

Hi @cslorabox, OrbiWise is a global public LoRaWAN operator, like a commercial version of TTN. The system here is part of their global multi-tenant infrastructure with roaming. The local govt. streetlight application is the anchor-tenant on what is planned to be a multi-customer and multi-application SmartCity LoRaWAN service. Why would they set the preamble sync_word to private?

For one of my gateway that has been on TTN for 4 years, it has 3.34M uplinks and 322K downlinks where most of this time I’ve been pretty much the only user.

Andrew

Tim is correct wrt Orbiwise being global and offering a “public” network similar to others. More comparable to TTI than TTN in many respects. Sadly through this year we have lost some biz & GW deployments to them :frowning: where original use/target was to have been TTN/TTI… increasing back end UDP load issues & console stability etc. haven’t help matters. I also see occasional Orbiwise traffic hitting some of my gw’s… increasing my up counts but not impacting down counts of course (to bring back to topic!) :slight_smile: