Air Quality/Environment Sensors?

(Chbla) #1

Hi there,

I’m very interested in the Libelium Smart City/Environment sensors (Air Quality, Particle Matter, etc).
However, they are extremely expensive, especially if a City needs more of them it’s a high entry barrier.

Does anyone know any good alternatives, preferrably calibrated sensors?

Thank you,
Christoph

how many sensors do you need, what should be the resolution,what do you want to meassure exactly and what would be the max you (?} would want to pay for them ?

(Jeff Uk) #3

Also do you need certified (FCC/CE/ETSI/RED/IC/UR etc - depends where in the world) production products (if not why not given use case and are you sure devices are socially friendly - spurious emissions, duty-cycle regulated etc.), do you need warranty, do you need tech support, etc. All costs… :wink: (Not defending Libelium or any other vendor as no association but commercial realities are a factor…)

How much work/config/prog do you want to do yourself (or with others)…maker option vs buy in etc…

(Chbla) #4

Of course, I know all these points. It’s for production use (city context), so yes CE certification etc.
I just wanted to get an overview of alternatives, I’m not criticizing Libelium for their pricing.

(Phil Wilko) #9

I think your forum post is a reasonable question.
For particulate matter air quality readings, planttower sensors are pretty cheap, but require integration to a lora transceiver unit. See this forum post for more discussion on this technology.

(Teus) #10

See the MySense Open Source software https://github.com/teusH/MySense . There is documentation and software assembled for Air Qual sensors (Dylos, Shiney, Nova, Plantower), different meteo sensors (DHT, Bosch), gas sensors (Alpha, Spec) and GPS. There are two tracks: based on (Lan/Wifi/GPRS) Raspberry Pi and LoRa TTN (Lopy/PyCom and Marvin). Marvin has limited range. A fully equipped Pi based is about 500-750 euro hardware, the Lopy (Plantower,BME680,GPS) is about 75-100 euro on hardware costs (Ali Express). See for info http://behouddeparel.nl/samen-meten (dutch). There are some other initiatives but they are based on Arduino/ESP hardware and not LoRa TTN.

(Chbla) #11

That’s an interesting project, thanks for the link!
Unfortunately in the City context we need complete - i.e. production ready - solutions with certificate, etc.

Otherwise it’s difficult to convince the stakeholders…