Any support or reported use for the new STM32WLE?

Hi TTN- and LoRa-fellows,

I am sure you are as thrilled as me about the new MCU from STMicroelectronics:

Despite that it is probably the most hyped MCU for LoRa on the market there are no application nodes, blog posts or anything about it.

Has anyone of you managed to get an STM32WLE nucleo board or a custom-built PCB to work?

Thank you!

Youā€™d need to physically get one, and youā€™d need to have a codebase that supports the SX126x. The STM32 Cortex M4 is hopefully the simple part of it all.

There is some SX126x code out there.

What Iā€™m not seeing is ready current availability of the chips. Which means that even if the eval boards are available (didnā€™t check) itā€™s early to begin basing a practical project around this.

I thought Iā€™d bump this up and see if anyone has tinkered with the STM32WL chips yet? I still havenā€™t been able to get the NUCLEO for the WL, but I am starting to learn how to program the STM32 directly (without Arduino).

The TTI GenericNode uses this chip, so Iā€™d travel hopeful!

In addition to anything there may be for the ā€œgeneric nodeā€ ST publishes examples with a LoRaWan stack for the Nucleo with this chip

I just checked out that device, and it looks really promising! Iā€™m curious to see the consumption specs.

Iā€™m having a tough time finding example code on the ST website for the LoRaWAN STM32WL part. Iā€™ve gone through the YouTube training doc which gives me high level stuff. It looks like mbed-os supports that chip as well, so maybe I can find something there.

And within that for example

Projects/NUCLEO-WL55JC/Applications/LoRaWAN/LoRaWAN_End_Node

1 Like

Huge thanks! The API doesnā€™t look bad aside from the ridiculous amount of initialization code. Iā€™ll have to learn more about the CubeIDE to see how much of this is generated (and how to generate it).

This project supports the WLE (itā€™s the same radio peripheral as on the WL).

Not really any ā€œgenerationā€ needed, the files are all there they just need to be fed to a compiler and linker.

I was able to throw together an alternate build flow by identifying likely files and include paths and adding them bit by bit to resolve each new build error. That was a test for a client project so they not I own it, but it was a fairly rote and reasonable process of sweat equity.

Or you could try this:

Which supports a range of styles & environments for compiling.

I was looking through the docs and the forum. Iā€™ll have to watch some of the videos later, but manā€¦ this thing looks fantastic. Not entirely sure how the over-the-air DFU will work, but Iā€™m sure the videos cover it.

After a few days of messing around with the STM32 environment and watching the GenericNode videos, I am definitely hopeful for this product. I would love to get my hands on one and tinker with it. I requested a device on their forumā€¦ fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Hello,

has anyone adapted the WL55-LoRaEndNode-Software to the hardware STM32WLE in CubeMX?

Projects/NUCLEO-WL55JC/Applications/LoRaWAN/LoRaWAN_End_Node

Greetings

E_T

1 Like

Dear @E_T I think you could find usefull this RAK document:

2 Likes

Thank you!

The past week Iā€™ve been looking at this example for the Lora E5 module which has an STM32WLE5JC in it:

Unfortunately this project isnā€™t a good example as the modifications was hacked in, and regenerating the code from the .ioc file breaks the project. I believe the RAK example is much cleaner, so I will try that one now. Thanks for sharing @jfmateos

1 Like

I havenā€™t gotten Arduino working on any of my STM32WL boards yet. Currently the best example using STM32Cube is GitHub - danak6jq/Seeed-LoRa-E5: LoRaWAN end node built from scratch using CubeMX for WLE5x in the LoRa-E5. The other good one is the official MBed LoRaWan example, using custom targets, as described in GitHub - hallard/LoRa-E5-Breakout: LoRa-E5 Breakout board

I have made a version for PlatformIO/STM32Duino that uses a modified version of basicmac. Please check GitHub - Edzelf/Basicmac-STM32WLE5: Basicmac version for SEEED LoRa-E5-mini.

1 Like

Support for the Arduino ecosystem for the STM32WL would be really useful, so a good first start.

There are some serious issues that need addressing for this to be community friendly:

The ReadMe on GitHub says it is set to send a message every minute to TTN and the source code confirms this.

That would be in breach of the Fair Use Policy by quite a margin.

It also appears to have a copy of the Matt Kooijman LMIC embedded in it, so it is hard wired to use an older deprecated copy of LMIC - which is not BasicMac.

It also appears that there are some aspects of LoRaWAN that need clarifying - you do a Join, store the keys, sleep, wake up and then do an ABP send using the keys from the store and every 300 uplinks you do a rejoin.

At minimum the send rate needs altering in both source & in the ReadMe and as it doesnā€™t use anything like BasicMac, perhaps update it to include the MCCI LMIC - include so that it pulls in the latest version automatically. And drop the Join/ABP/Re-Join sequence.