ARDUINO UNO + DRAGINO SHIELD v1.4

Dear Community,

I am trying to find DEV-EUI in my node ARDUINO UNO + DRAGINO SHIELD v1.4, through the sketch TheThingsNetwork.h------>device info, although this sketch includes:

#define loraSerial Serial1
#define debugSerial Serial

And my module does NOT have a serial port. This sketch cannot be uploaded. Kindly advise how can I overcome that and explore DEVICE-EUI. I will need that for connecting to my gateway.

Those libraries are different hardware and not compatible with your hardware, you need to use the LMIC library.

My current LMIC of choice as it tends to fit in to an Arduino Uno’s memory would be:

Start out with the ABP example with no changes!

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback. Although, how can I get the DEV-EUI, for registering device in my application in TTN account?

This device does not have a build in EUI, you can get TTN to generate one for you. Just change the icon at the start of the input field from the two arrows to a pencil by clicking on it and an EUI will be generated when you save the data,

Thanks a lot Kersing, you are really helpful!

Dear community,
Kindly let me know how can I add Dragino Lora shield node version 1.4 to TTN. The documentation does not give any details regarding model number, LoRaWAN specification or device class. Got no reply from Dragino yet.

1 Like

These are details of the software not the hardware.

Hopefully you are using current MCCI LMiC. Older versions such as Dragino might have recommended, or the matthijskooijman one are deprecated and will not work correctly with TTN today. Getting the current version to fit in an Uno can be a challenge; but you really have to use software that matches the LoRaWAN spec on TTN today, and old versions don’t.

MCCI LMiC documentation includes the details you need to register something running that with TTN.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response.

In current MCCI LMIC (MAC version 1.0.3), I am not able to setup the single channel, SF and BW. I tried assigning single frequency to all the channels but couldn’t fix SF and BW. I tried disabling other channels and fixing DR using following code but still it does not work.

// Define the single channel and data rate (SF) to use
int channel = 0;
int dr = DR_SF9;

// Disable all channels, except for the one defined above.
for(int i=0; i<9; i++) {
if(i != channel) {
LMIC_disableChannel(i);
}
}

// Set data rate (SF) and transmit power for uplink
LMIC_setDrTxpow(dr, 14);

When I use dragino LMIC library (MAC version 1.0.2), I am able to set a single channel, SF and BW, The node is able to sent uplink messages to gateway (EV_Joining) but getting no reply from TTN ( as seen from TTN gateway console). TTN shows Gateway status is connected but Node status is disconnected. I am uploading ttn_OTAA sketch to arduino and using single_channel_pckt_forwarder_V4 on gateway.

That is the way it should be. LoRaWAN nodes must use multiple channels to stay compliant with the specification. If you are using hardware that does not receive on multiple frequencies and spreading factors as gateway you should disconnect it and replace it with a LoRaWAN compliant gateway. TTN is LoRaWAN and requires LoRaWAN compatible hardware.

SIr, Thank you for your response. I am aware of this. I am a student and doing it just for learning purpose.

You’re still not allowed to put non-compliant setups on TTN, even “for learning purposes”

If you’re going to use something that’s not LoRaWan, you need to be using a private network server, not TTN’s.

And this forum isn’t a help resource for such ill-advised efforts.

The real “learning” would be to take time to understand why LoRaWan is a protocol designed for asymmetric communication between nodes and mains-powered always-listening multi-channel/multi-SF gateway radios, versus something designed for symmetric communication between portable and fixed single-channel/single-SF node style radios which would need to be a fundamentally different protocol using the radios in fundamentally different ways if it were going to comply with radio regulations.

1 Like