Are gateways without Locations allowed?

Hi,

I’ve searched but can’t find an answer to this question.

I was using TTNMapper and had a “ping” but couldn’t work out where the gateway was (nothing reported in TTNMapper for the location)

I checked on the API and the gateway isn’t showing a location:
http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways/eui-00800000a000270d

Interestingly most of the gateways with similar gateway IDs are also missing locations (I used https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/gateway-data/ to check this)

I thought all Gateways had to have a location, is this not a requirement?

Thanks.

you can set gateway privacy settings in the console

54%20PM

Ah, so do gateways require locations, but they can be hidden?

If so, this makes planning new gateways very difficult.
If privacy is on, could the location be fuzzed rather than removed?

Gateway locations are not mandatory. However not delivering a location will cripple some features of the LoRaWAN network like metadata that comes with your received packet.

Exactly, I mean if no location is provided how would the network know if that gateway would be suitable for downlink?

I realise I cannot get the location, but is there anything that would tell me if there’s a private location configured for this gateway?

I am not sure I am understanding. Why do you need location for downlinks? For planning it could be partially useful, although a site survey is more suitable to have an idea of coverage.

Simple: The network server evaluates RSSI and SNR of all gateways receiving the node and selects the gateway with the best report for downlink of a packet.

E.g. no coordinate required for this mechanism.

1 Like

Ok, sounds like my understanding was wrong.

I’d thought that the network used location in the scenario where a gateway had exceeded the legal transmission time.

E.g., node was heard by 1 gateway only A.
Gateway A has been transmitting and has used up all of its allotted transmission time.
Downlink is requested.
Gateway B is known to be geographically close.

I thought in this scenario the network attempted to downlink from Gateway B.
Are we saying that in this scenario the network just refuses to attempt to deliver the downlink?

If gateway B did not receive the uplink and forwarded it to TTN there is little chance a downlink sent by it will be received by the node. So not attempt to send a downlink is made.

2 Likes

Geographical proximity is not the same as “radio” proximity, which is better measured with RSSI and SNR. You might have a gateway in the basement that does not receive more than hundreds meters. Or, more realistically, you might have a node in a city that, due to lucky combination of buildings, trees, gateway altitude, etc, is received by one far gateway and not by a closer one.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.