Through trial and error I have managed to get my Dragino LHT65 and Adafruit M0-RFM95 working ok on TTN (OTAA) v2 through my RAK7244 gateway.
After several futile attempts to move to v3, I have hit a wall, mainly because I am way out of my league. I have read how to do it and watched videos but with no luck. I now have some failed attempts listed (gateway and applications) in the Stack which I would like to remove.
Is it possible to delete these items in order to have a clean slate to try again to migrate? The migrate tool didn’t work for me but maybe I did something wrong and need to try again. After exporting the data needed for the json file, I was unable to produce one to import into v3.
I am not a programmer (80+ retired librarian) but have a working knowledge of linux for most things. Lora is very new and I am trying to learn.
Thanks in advance for any helping hands here.
Bob (Ashland, VA USA)
Hi Bob, Unless you have a large number of devices out there on V2 I would not recommend using the migration tool.
My suggestion I to take a single device first. From this device take devEUI, appEUI and appKEY from V2 and copy it into a notepad or a simple text editor. Save for future use.
Second, create a new application in V3 to hold this device, remove the device from V2 and add it to V3. Try to join and when successful add the same payload decoder you used from V2 in to V3. (copy-paste).
Finally recreate your integrations. When you are satisfied, migrate the next sensor until you are done.
Many thanks for the fast reply. I basically tried this before but must have done something incorrectly. Is it possible to remove the things I have wrongly installed on v3 before I attempt it again? Also, I guess I don’t understand the difference between an application and an end device. Do I create one application and then add various end devices inside of the same application.
Will my gateway on v2 pick up what I send on v3? When do I move the gateway?
Sorry for all of these questions but I’m trying to learn what is going on here.
Your help is much appreciated.
I moved my Dragino LHT65 without any problems to TTS CE (TTN V3). Do you use the firmware rev. 1.8 and OTAA?
Yes you can do that
An application is a “container” that holds a number of devices that belong logically together.
yes you may
yes, gateways on V2 will send traffic to V3 and from V3 to V2.
No problem, we are here to help.
Need to get that sensor to reboot/new join.
There is a reboot button sequence press - check out the dragino documentation.
Thanks to Remko, Wolfgang, and Mid-walesha for the helpful comments. Let me reply to the questions:
Yes, my LHT65 is rev, 1.8 and OTAA, set for the US lora frequencies.
I have the combination of button pushes for the LHT65 to join. I think I must have used that when setting up on TTN v2
Before attempting to setup my LHT65 on v3 again, I would like to remove the “junk” on v3 which were failed attempts to setup devices. Can someone instruct me on the process or point me to a discussion. Since I was confused on the difference between application and device, my attempt to remove an application indicated that a device was attached. I was unable to remove the end device to free the application for removal.
To remove a device in V3 follow this navigation:
- In console click Applications > and the application in which you will remove a device.
- click “end devices” > the device you wish to remove.
- For the device click “General settings”
- At the grey bar you will find a red bin with “Delete end device” > click to remove.
After hours, I managed to have my LHT65 working under v3. It was working under v2 without issue.
The things that I noted to be changed between v2 and v3 (Community Edition), among others:
- definition of the APP EUI is no more done at the Application level. It is done at the Device level instead.
- definition of payload formatters can be done at the Application level AND at Device level now.
What I had to do to have the LHT65 working:
- send a downlink Payload (e.g. 0100003C to tell the LHT65 to update every minute) in the Device menu Messaging
- long press the ACT button: LHT65 sent an uplink and then got the scheduled downlink
- stop (5x ACT button) and restart the LHT65 (long press on ACT)
Although I’m not sure what brought it to work.
I trust you sent a new command to reset the time to a more reasonable value (one which keeps the device within the TTN fair use policy) after it started working? If not I would strongly suggest you do so soon.
I guess you understood it was an example. Back at one message every 3600 [s] after the debugging session.
There was no requirement in your procedure to set it to one minute, setting it to 15 minutes would have been sufficient. As it would clearly lead to a breach of the FUP and most likely be illegal, it wasn’t a very wise choice of example.
Thanks to you and the others for help. I was able to successfully delete what I needed to get rid of on v3 and move my lht65 from v2 to v3.
I was aware that the suggestion of setting the broadcast timing to one minute was only for debugging purposes as the default factory setting is for 20 minutes. Sorry for any confusion here.
I now have a second device (Adafruit feather m0 LoRa), using the Adafruit suggested program, which is running properly on v2. Following your instructions for moving the lht65 didn’t seem to work for the m0. I guess I should open another question for help on the m0. Cheers, Bob
Thanks, jorajag, this was clear to me. Bob
A similar discussion exists here: Not receiving uplinks on V3 but working on V2