Best LoRa chip for Arduino & TTN

Hi everyone,
For 2 years I used to develop nodes with Arduino mini pro, RN2483 microchip, and things network.
It is very difficult to find some RN2483 right now, I consider to use other chips.

Do you guys have any reccomendation for an easy chip to implement with Arduino mini pro, to communicate with things network ?
I really struggle to find good tutos (I’ve found a lot of infos on SX1276…)

It could be great if they have low power mode

Thank you for any tips !

All the SX127X SPI modules, from a range of manufacturers, use the same Semtech LoRa chip so performance and low power operation is pretty much identical.

Radio operation, sure, though power strategies impact efficiency there (and even moreso in sx126x options where board designers seem to not have always made the best choices)

But ease of achieving low power in the overwhelming majority of the time when the radio is not active varies quite widely.

Ease of achieving correct LoRaWAN operation seems to vary, too.

Also having a firmware/packet scheme that optimizes the need to transmit at all, and having ADR ideally optimize the radio data rate and RF power has a huge impact on power consumption as well.

The Seeed E5 modules available on different boards are low power and use AT commands (with the default firmware) which allows for equally low memory pressure of the Arduino.

Not chip but modules. There are two different options:

1. Either SPI based where the LoRaWAN stack need to run on your MCU, or
  2. A module with its own dedicated MCU for LoRaWAN, using AT commands over serial interface.

For SX127x and the Arduino framework there is actually only one good open source LoRaWAN library: MCCI LMIC.

ATmega32xx based boards can be used with MCCI LMIC but do not leave much room for larger sketches due to limited memory resources of the ATmega32xx.

What is tutos? Do you mean tutorials?
Not a tutorial but a good and well documented example is: LMIC-node

Achieving low-power with LMIC is possible but is not evident.

Thank you very much for the answers :slight_smile: I’ll try it at the beginning of January and keep you in touch.
Yes @bluejedi I was meaning tutorials, sorry for my bad English :grimacing: I’ll try this library !