Big LoRa32u4 boards topic

(Couin) #84

Good to hear!

As a hobbyist, I find usefull to have at least two boards (to make some basic send/receive tests and so on …).

(Petervande Pol) #85

Hello,

I have been reading this topic with great interest but I am getting more and more confused; probably due to my ignorance.

I have recently ordered to LoRa32u4 II v1.2 boards and am struggeling to get them to work. I have used the libraries etc. from the bsfrance.fr website.

I do not have access to the Things Network where I live in the Dutch countryside, all gateways are too far away.

My confusion:

• I can select the correct board (868 MHz flavour) in the Arduino IDE, but the IDE says I have a 433MHz board
  • My assumtion is that when I upload the “sender” and “receiver” examples I should see incoming packets on the receiver board through the serial monitor. I get nothing.
  • do I need to solder a kind of bypass on these new boards to get them to work?
  • Both boards are powered through USB; one with a power supple (the sender) the other through my Linux PC so that I can see the output on the serial monitor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any guidance greatly appreciated…

Peter

what’s not clear to me is

• do you want to create point to point communication between these 2 boards (hence pure LoRa)
  • want to connect (when gateway available/in range) to the things network
  • something else

(Petervande Pol) #87

Thank you for your question, BoRRoZ.

Eventually I want to create a sensor network on a big farm in Africa I work with, collecting data like soil temperature, air temperature, soil humidity, air humidity, CO2 levels etc. The number of nodes can be big: up to hundreds.

For now I want to develop a simple proof of concept where I can send data from one node to the other, following MQTT messaging to a server when that is established etc.

For the big picture I will need a serious gateway, for the proof of concept only a few of these boards.

At least: that is my assumption.

I think your assumption is not complete.

there is a big difference between one 'node. transmitting a temp and one node listening on your desk and a 'serious test setup with at least 50 nodes transmitting data from multiple sensors (at the same time) and your backend server setup and application(s) to manage this dataflow and nodes.

this is not the forum for point to point basic LoRa communication.
if you search github you’ll find many code examples, also maybe this article is interesting for you