Build Lora Gateway with Raspberry 4 Model B

Hello,
I want to build a gateway for the 868 freq, I have Raspberry 4 Model B board. So can I use that board for gateway?

You can use (almost) every raspberry pi for a gateway. That is the least critical part. You need a concentrator board as well, the best choice for that is more difficult.

(I wouldn’t use the model A as it lacks Ethernet, but model B is fine)

can i use Dragino LORA/GPS HAT?

There is a one word answer the forum does not allow me to post on its own:

No

Not for a gateway.

To build a proper gateway you need something with an SX1301, SX1308 or (theoretically but few have tried it yet) SX1302 chip.

These tend to cost a bit more than radios intended for nodes, but a node radio cannot really do the job of a gateway.

Ok, so can you suggest me any other chipset than IMST IC880A - LORAWAN CONCENTRATOR.

You seem to be confusing things: everyone uses the same baseband and radio chips.

There are multiple vendors who offer boards with them.

Jac was saying NO to the Dragino LoRa/GPS hat as that’s not a gateway hat.

You could use an IC880A or any other vendor’s ready to use offering, like the RAK2287 board and HAT.

ok, thank you

I’m using this one: RAK2245 Pi HAT on a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB with a Pi PoE HAT to power the outdoor gateway.

I tweaked the fan of the PoE HAT for long term reliability. And I mounted heatsinks on Pi CPU and GPU. Along with a GPIO extesion header and a PoE extension header to fit everything together.

I used this enclosure and this 5.8dBi antenna. Connected with 5m H200 coax.

Here you can see some pictures from the setup. And this is my gateway.

5 Likes

Hi, maybe you like my design with the RPi and Dragino PG1301

1 Like

Yes, you can. I also works in a gateway with Raspberry Pi 3 B+ compatible due to the PoE characteristic. Look at the power consumption if this will be relevant in your project.