Can I use a zTrack GPS Tracker that is ABP activated only?

(Bluesensing) #1

I have a zTrack mini (by Zane Systems, Hungary) that uses ABP and NOT OTAA.

I got all the codes: Device EUI, fixed DevAddr, NwkSKey and AppsKey.

Can I use this tracker in TTN Network?

Did anybody succeed in activation of this device?

Thank you.

gerhard

(Remko) #2

Well, they say it is a LoRaWAN device so that is good. if the frequency fits the area you are in all should be OK.

(Bluesensing) #3

At the moment, you cannot use zTrack in combination with TTN, because TTN generates an own DevAddr you have to use. At the moment you cannot change this DevAddr in zTrack. So you cannot use TTN allhere. Zoltan, CEO of Zane, told me today, he will change this in new firmware version, so DevAddr can be changed.
We must wait... will continue my documentation, if things evolve http://goo.gl/Uf6PQD

(Radek Vozák) #4

At the moment it is possible to change devaaddr - but it yust not works for me. Is there anybody who is running this Ztrack on network?

(Luz) #5

I just got a zTrack and would like to make it work in TTN. Of course I am interested hearing about any progress and will share my findings.

For now, I’ll check along the google docs linked above by @bluesensing1.

(Arjan) #6

Correct; just for future reference: Can I register an ABP device that has fixed DevAddr, NwkSKey and AppSKey?

(Rguderlei) #7

I got the device working today. You have to ask the guys from Zane for the configuration tool. With that, is is pretty easy.

(Broodjesalami) #8

Hi

Can you write a guide on how to get the device working?
I have a zTrack mini that I would like to get working

(Adrewetx) #9

To confirm, most (if not all) Zane HU are supported on TTN. We have zTemp, zTracks, zDoor and other sensors all connecting via TTN to our GridLocate platform.

The current hardware version of zTrack (v4) only supports ABP. Zane are working on v5, due for release Q1 2018 which WILL support OTAA.

Here’s how to add them to TTN:

Note: all zTrack’s come with a label with the unique ID of the device. This is based on a partial serial number of the radio module. You use this to create the Device EUI as “00 06 11 00 xx xx xx xx”. E.g. if your label is 71 01 01 01, the device EUI is “00 06 11 00 71 01 01 01”

Step 1: Create your TTN Device Record.
a.) Click to add your device to your TTN application.
b.) Enter a unique deviceID: I usually use zaneXXXXXXXX
c.) Enter the Device EUI (see above: e.g. 00 06 11 00 xx xx xx xx)
d.) Let it default to OTAA and then click Save.
e.) Click back into the TTN device and click to edit settings.
f.) Switch the device to ABP, and click save
g.) You’ll then be taken back to the device view which has all the settings you’ll need for step 2.

Step 2: Configure device
1.) Install and run the zTrack configuration tool. You can get this from Zane HU.,
Please note, the config tool (windows 10) is in beta release. It has occasionally crashed on me, and I just reload.
2.) Once zTrack config tool is running, plug in your zTrack via USB
3.) It may take a minute or two for the zTrack to be recognised. Shaking the device might speed up this process, as the device might be in sleep mode. The config tool should then recognise the zTrack and display two tabs.
4.) Tab 1 allows you to configure device settings, such as sensitivity and frequency.
5.) Tab 2 allows you to configure LoRaWAN settings.
6.) It’s fairly self-explanatory. You need to copy and paste the Application EUI, Device Address, Network Session Key and App Session Key from the TTN “Device Overview” page to the zTrack config tool. Click Save.
7.) Once the changes have been confirmed, unplug the USB.

In my experience, the zTrack is then reporting to TTN with 1-2 minutes.

We’re currently testing the zTrack on our GridLocate.com platform. If you have any questions about the zTrack and LoRaWAN GPS tracking, feel free to contact me at adrian@gridlocate.com.

Regards,
Adrian Drewett