Cannot see data in device AND gateway

Hello together,
I urgently need your help because I tried to get a connection between the LG01 and the ttn since several days.
From Arduino I can transmit data i.e for temperature an humidity to the COM-Port, but there are neither gateway traffic nor received device application data.
The “Activation Method” is “ABP”; “DEVEUI, APPEUI, DEVADDR, APPSKEY, NWKSKEY” are transferred from the ttn-device to the Arduino-sketch (“Temp_Node_ABP” & “node.h”). The gateway-ID of LG01 has internet connection (“ping”). Only Sensor Data (Hex) are listened in the dragino. I checked the TX-/RX-frequencies 868100000 and 92330000.
PuTTY doesn’t show any traffic and SSH Secure Shell will not work.
The LG01 has a LAN connection to the laptop and a connected to the router by WAN. The LoRa Shield v1.4 with the DHT11-sensor is pinned on an UNO-Board which is connected to the PC by USB.
I tried out all possibilities referring to LoRa Gateway User Manual or Wiki for Dragino Project.
It would be great if you would have an idea to solve my problem anyhow.
Many thanks in advance, Thomas

1 Like

The LG01 is not a LoRaWAN gateway, and as such it is not recommended for use with TTN and not supported here.

Trying to make a node radio (what the LG01 actually is, nevermind what a seller may have scammed you by calling it) pretend to be a gateway causes numerous problems, starting from not supporting all of the frequencies nodes are supposed to use for uplink, continuing through only supporting a single spreading factor, and expanding to potentially break the operation of other people’s nodes in the area if it happens to pick up a packet more strongly than a legitimate gateway.

I am astonished about your answer because we all got the chance to borrow the LoRa IoT Development Kit after a workshop last year to exercise with it.

I have no idea what “the LoRa IoT Development Kit” would be, but note that TTN is a LoRaWAN network, which is more complex than the underlying LoRa transport and requires multi-channel/multi-SF capability on the gateway side (which the LG-01 lacks) to operate properly.

If you are saying that non-LoRaWAN compliant hardware was passed around at an official TTN event, that would be unfortunate. But mistakes can happen, perhaps with donated gear. The node side of such a combination would be usable if running proper software. That the LG-01 “fakeway” or “single channel packet forwarder” is not has been established in numerous previous threads here.

Typically hardware loaned at an event is node side only, since it only takes a single proper gateway in range for people to be able to play with node projects. So either there already is a gateway, or someone brings one and temporarily sets it up, and then participants each get a node to play with. Having lots of gateways (even proper ones) operating in the same place would be needless and likely detrimental, nevermind the cost.

Hi, I was one of the speakers at the workshop, but I was not involved with the hardware selection before. The workshop organizer actually lent Dragino "LoRa IoT Development Kit’ boxes to the attendees at that time (2018). That workshop was no official TTN event.

Officially the kits were never attributed “LoRaWAN” by Dragino but actually they were used that way by many people, which works to a certain degree. Nevertheless, there are better ways now to implement a proper LoRaWAN/TTN access (e.g. TTIG and other low-cost gateways).

Thomas, I assume you don’t have an existing, working TTN gateway in reach of your node? By now large areas are covered, much more than two years ago. If there isn’t, you might consider testing in another area where coverage is existent.

I do advocate against using the Dragino LG01 as a gateway because it could even break other nodes’ operation.

To further debug your node, there are several ways:

• activating debug outputs for the LMIC library
  • watching the node’s TTN Console messages
  • watching the gateway’s TTN Console message if it is your gateway
  • monitoring RF with a SDR setup (which mainly shows if the node is transmitting at all, and on which frequency)

Just contact me if you need more help.

1 Like

you can use LG01 but just in a single channel, you may not read LG01 user manual very well, there is a part explained it very well.
Good luck.

No. These should not be operated, as they constitute an unintentional denial-of-service attack on other users of the network by misleading range topimization algorithms which assume input only from proper gateways, not abominations which are present at only one of the many spreading factor and frequency combinations which a LoRaWAN gateway is required to support. The network adjust for the presence of the non-gateway, and then fails and takes a long time recover when it doesn’t support the new mode that would be optimal if the alleged gateway actually were one.

They are usable on private networks only, not on TTN.