Can't connect TTIG to TTN v3

I have deleted my gateway from TTN v2 and tried to register it to v3 but is showing as disconnected.

Gateway EUI is correct: 58A0CBFFFE800E** (last 2-digits hidden)
Freq plan: EU_863_870_TTN
Gateway server address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network

I have repowered and confirmed the WiFi is connected OK. The LED is solid green, but the The Things Stack says it’s disconnected.

I did have it connected a few months ago, but then moved back to v2 as v3 wasn’t fully supported. I have now deleted the gateway from v2.

Any ideas on what to do to get it connected?
Thanks
Richard.

Can you confirm if you tried to CLAIM your TTIG or if you actual just registered it - all the docs and forum instructions are about claiming your TTIG, you can’t just register it by entering the EUI which is available in a wide variety of places in the data & mapping so no point hiding things.

I’m guessing you haven’t looked at the forum as you’d see we recommend that you do not delete a gateway from v2 under any circumstances for just this sort of situation - it would have been routing packets for both v2 & v3 if it wasn’t deleted from v2, now it’s a small lump of plastic awaiting claiming …

1 Like

Hi Nick

I added it rather than claiming it as I don’t think claiming was fully supported when I added it. It was basically working on v3 but I moved it back to v2 due to v3 not being fully operational.

My understanding from the documentation was that I was ok to delete it from v2 but not from v3. I now can’t claim it as it’s been added to v3.

Are you saying I’ve now bricked my device and I have to throw it away? There really shouldn’t be anything you can do on the cloud which inadvertently renders a device unusable. It’s pretty poor implementation if that’s the case but it would be good to know if it is.

Update: Does the post below suggest that you can now delete from v3 then reuse the EUI (and therefore claim the gateway)?

Thanks
Richard.

Claiming has been working since the beginning of July and the forum is littered with advice not to remove a gateway from v2 until you are happy it’s working on v3.

Nope, not at all, nothing I put suggested anything of the kind.

I said “now it’s a small lump of plastic awaiting claiming …”

No. It’s an issue raised in Aug 2019 that was closed in Jan 2020 marked as work-in-progress.

Please can you read the documentation regarding the the claiming of a TTIG. There is a link to the documentation bottom right of every single v3 console page.

There are also a variety of topics on the forum regarding claiming TTIGs. Pre-July they are by people trying when expressly told not to. Post 1st July they are either official instructions from TTI staff, hints, tips & woo-hoo’s from the successful and some issues raised, these may assist. The ones about not doing it won’t as they are no longer valid.

OK thanks Nick.

I haven’t found anything about claiming the device if it’s already been added to v3. I think may have to delete it but I will read the documentation and the forums again to see what I can do.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you meant that it is a lump of plastic waiting to be claimed and this is no longer possible as it’s already been added.

Regards
Richard.

Probably far too many posts to wade through of people adding them and the rest of us just telling them to delete the entry and use the claim procedure.

AFAIK you will be able to re-use the deleted ID but just in case you can’t, just use another ID. Bonus points for not posting “I can’t claim it because of a duplicate EUI” when the error message says “Duplicate ID” as the ID is not the EUI, the ID is some random name you give your TTIG - mine first one is called “Arthur” and the second is called “Ford”.

…And therefore my next one has got to be “PanGalacticGargleBlaster”! :wink: I Think that would be Prefect sorry Perfect unless you think it would “Dent” your naming scheme?

This post will self distruct within 24hrs

2 Likes

I was more thinking of “Trillian” but I have to stop that now I’m married.

Hi Nick, so it’s reusing the ID that’s not allowed rather than the EUI?

I’ll give it a try this evening and let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Richard.

Hey @rich-stimson; We just added support for using the same ID and the same EUI and claiming it.

1 Like

@KrishnaIyerEaswaran2 Thanks for the update - it sounds promising.

I’m following the instructions to install the CLI:

$ sudo snap install ttn-lw-stack
$ sudo snap alias ttn-lw-stack.ttn-lw-cli ttn-lw-cli

All OK.

Configuration

$export TTN_LW_CONFIG=/path/to/ttn-lw-cli.yml
I created blank file called ttn-lw-cli.yml and saved it as ~/ttn/ttn-lw-cli.yml, then modified the export command above. I assume that is what is intended.

Generate configuration file

I followed the link: The Things Stack Cloud
I assume this is describing the contents of ttn-lw-cli.yml

What is my tenant ID?

The contents of this file must be fairly standard - are the contents listed anywhere in a simple format for an EU device?

I probably could have read the CLI getting started guide but I ran out of time.

Apologies for the stupid questions, any help appreciated.
Thanks
Richard.

Are you using a paid for instance or the community servers?

It is describing the contents of ttn-lw-cli.yml for a The Things Cloud instance

Depends on if you are using a The Things Cloud instance which would be all over your The Things Cloud instance or if you are using the community servers - which would be TTN but would NOT be applicable to that page.

Yes but I’ve run out of time to read the CLI getting started guide - if you are on the community server I think it’s in The Things Network section - otherwise you can get your tenant id from your The Things Cloud console and use that on the link above.

Hi Nick,

Thanks again your quick reply. I have taken a step back and read up on TTN v3, TTS, Variations of TTS Cloud, Cloud instances, etc. I didn’t realise quite how much of a quantum leap they made from v2 to v3. Johan’s clearly been busy :slight_smile:

Are you using a paid for instance or the community servers?

Community servers. I’m migrating from TTN v2 to TTN v3 (TTS Community Edition).

It is describing the contents of ttn-lw-cli.yml for a The Things Cloud instance

OK, so I should have followed: [The Things Network|(https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/reference/ttn/addresses/]

and my ttn-lw-cli.yml file will be:

oauth-server-address: ‘The Things Network Account
identity-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’

gateway-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
network-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
application-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
join-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
device-claiming-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
device-template-converter-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
qr-code-generator-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’

I’ll try again…

Regards
Richard.

2 Likes

I was in your shoes in June with a Laird RG191 - since intranet is fine in my application, I jumped ship to ChirpStack (on virtual server) and it’s been working great. Moving over GWs and devices was painless. I just deleted my last few remaining GWs on V2 this week. Just an option that might work for some!

One big caveat for moving to intranet that isn’t obvious is: all integrations and with them various vendor’s consoles that ease configuring devices will be inaccessible. That’s really only thing I miss.

Thanks @filipgDSE but I would like to use TTN/TTS.

I now have it working.

First of all, I followed the instruction as written, and created ttn-lw-cli.yml config as above:
oauth-server-address: ‘https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network/oauth’
identity-server-grpc-address: ‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884’
etc

$ ttn-lw-cli gateways claim authorize my-gateway-id

This failed with:
parse “‘https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network/oauth’”: first path segment in URL cannot contain colon

Fix: Remove quotes on every line of the file.

This failed with:
error:cmd/ttn-lw-cli/commands:unauthenticated (not authenticated with either API key or OAuth access token)

Fix: Run ttn-lw-cli login, open the link provided in Firefox and login. You will get the following message in the browser: “The CLI successfully got an access token. You can now close this window and return to the CLI.”

API key provided (didn’t need do anything with this). Power cycled gateway, and waited a few minutes - it’s now connected!

So these are the step by step by instructions to claiming a gateway which has been deleted TTN v2 and added to TTN v3 (aka The Things Stack Community Ediition), but remain disconnected.

Install the CLI on Linux:
$ cd ~
$ mkdir ttn
$ nano ttn/ttn-lw-cli.yml

Copy & paste the following in to the file:

oauth-server-address: The Things Network Account
identity-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
gateway-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
network-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
application-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
join-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
device-claiming-server-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
device-template-converter-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884
qr-code-generator-grpc-address: eu1.cloud.thethings.network:8884

Save the file and exit.

$ export TTN_LW_CONFIG=/home/myname/Desktop/ttn/ttn-lw-cli.yml

$ ttn-lw-cli login

Open the link provided in Firefox and login:
https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network/oauth/authorize?client_id=cli&redirect_uri=local-callback&response_type=code

You will get a message in the browser indicating successful login and you can return to the command line.

|INFO|No API Key provided. Creating one
|INFO|Created API Key with ID: OJRNVEKPFNNXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gateway no authorized for claiming.

Return to The Things Network Console
Click ‘Claim Gateway’
Enter the EU ID (same as my existing gateway), Gateway ID (I chose a new one but I think the same would be ok from @KrishnaIyerEaswaran2’s post above.

Gateway claimed successfully.

Power cycle TTIG gateway and wait for initialisation sequence to complete.
Solid green LED shown.

Wait a few more minutes, refresh the page and you should see Status ‘Connected’ on the Gateways page.

Thanks to @descartes and @KrishnaIyerEaswaran2 for the support.

I would definitely recommend a review of those instructions @KrishnaIyerEaswaran2. They jump all over the place, assume a lot of implied knowledge and in some cases are just plain wrong.

Regards
Richard.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.