Can't get my gateway connected (blink red and green forever)

I’d be very tempted to remove the second paragraph - you can’t avoid the WiFi setup screen so peeps may as well pick it up from there.

Or lengthen the paragraph to something like:

The gateway EUI. The EUI of the gateway is not the WiFi MAC address printed on the back of the gateway, but is derived from the first number that typically is of the form 58A0CBxxxxxx, printed on the top of the sticker below the QR code. To expand this to the full 16 digits required for a valid EUI, you need to insert FFFE in the middle of the number.

For example, if that number is ‘58A0CB800BE7’, insert ‘FFFE’ after the first 6 characters ie 58A0CB FFFE 800BE7.

In theory people getting this mixed up will be picked up by the claim process, but if they mix this up, hacking their way through the registration seems likely!

I am having the same problem as hpernet. I went through the set-up process yesterday and reached the point where it said there may be a firmware update, I left it and came back, and it’s still flashing red and green.

I believe I have my EUI down correctly (58 A0 CB FF FE B0 50 E7) and the wifi I’m connected to is completely basic/unaltered, is it worth seeing if my neighbour will let me try connecting using their wifi? What step do I need to take next to troubleshoot?

Or simply tether to your mobile phone, possibly quicker/easier?. Your neighbour then also an option - if on a different service provider otherwise they may have similar port filters etc.

What GW ID did you use/try?

Same issue here - just purchased TTIG, in config page added home wi-fi, instructed “save and reboot”, TTIG flashes green a few times then flashes red/green “forever”. Config page reports f/w version 2.0.4 so I assume it is not doing some long update. Have reset and repeated several times. Any advice?

Review the numerous other posts on this issue:

• Claim not register
  • Resetting is pointless - it only resets your WiFi, all the rest is hard coded to come down the wire.
  • Power cycling does usually speed up first connect to the LNS
  • Check your internet isn’t blocking by trying it via smartphone or someone elses WiFi

and more …

Red/green means trying to reach the LNS, so the last check is the one to try first.

Thanks for the fast response. No joy using phone as hotspot either. Frankly, if the device can’t connect over the home wifi (BT, fibre into the home), it’s not going to be of use. Any idea how long the first connect to CUGS/LNS should/could take? I saw “5 to 10 minutes” wait period advisable, nothing about hours.

Works just fine in thousands of other domestic situations, I have one at home on Virgin Media, so it’s something about your config we need to discover. If I test one before sending it out to site it usually only takes a few minutes to connect.

Does your router leave all outgoing connections alone?

Did you register or claim it?

It’s unusual that phone tethering fails - can you try a family, friend or colleagues phone. I’ve O2, Vodafone & EE all working at some point in the recent past.

Solved - had not registered/claimed the GW first. I know this should be obvious, but there’s a “getting started” guide (pdf) for TTIG which doesn’t reference this first step at all, and includes the phrase “Activate your gateway in less than 5 mins” which has the appearance of “do this first”. In way too much of a hurry - thought that registering the GW was done after it was linked to wifi - but it’s now clear that the credentials have to be uploaded first. All makes complete sense, in hindsight. Thanks again for your responses!

1 Like

As Ms Google likes to index topics here so to make sure someone landing here has some of the info fleshed out. It really doesn’t matter to the TTIG if you claim first and then setup WiFi or the other way round.

If you do WiFi first and then claim, you will have to cycle the power because by that time the TTIG will have been firmly told that it hasn’t got a home and will be waiting 24 hours to try again.

Ironically, it’s mildly easier to WiFi first then claim, as the TTIG then explicitly tells you what it’s EUI is, rather than people randomly adding the required padding digits to the front, back, centre left, right back, in goal and on the bench etc etc.

Additionally, there is no concept of register for a TTIG. No one should ever say, think or imagine the word register in relation to a TTIG. I will now proceed to wash my mouth out with soap for even suggesting that the R word can be used in the same sentence.

Yes, that is where I went wrong. I wish the instruction would have written the padded FFFE in bold, like you did, for emphasising its position in the number.

So I did not get on the claim page. Despite the warnings, I registered…

And now the claiming page tells me: “Submit failed Gateway with EUI 58A0CBFFFE8068C5 already exists and is not authorized for claiming”.

When I try to delete the gateway that I had registered I get strong warnings, that this time I won’t foolishly ignore. What is the best thing to do now?

Edit: I saw in another thread the advice to delete the registration. And after that I could claim it. And now it is connected! (Took me a bit longer than those 5 minutes…) Also the Uno is connected. I am happy!

3 Likes

I am going to partly rewrite the documentation for the TTIG, and I am going to take some of this feedback into consideration, especially the EUI part. I’ve had trouble with the way things are worded in it as well so I hope to improve it.

1 Like