Changing the EUI to onboard a TTN gateway to new platform

Could somebody assist me, as I’m a complete novice at this, Thanks in advance.

I have a TTN gateway - model TTN-001-868-1.0 that is currently registered on TTN, I also have a sensor that is regularly updating. What I’d like to do is change the EUI of the gateway as id like to move it to another demo platform, having gone thru the initial registration process for the gateway they have now provided me with a new EUI (and a few other bits) to amend the configuration file. This is where I am stuck…

1. how do I access the configuration file on the gateway to modify it?
  2. what is the best way to edit the JSON file ( from research I have got this far) which software would be easiest to use
  3. once amended is it a straight forward process to update the gateway with the modified file?
  4. This is more a learning as I go, so any good links would be appreciated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If that is the Kickstarter model you are out of luck. That gateway does not use the Semtech protocol that uses EUIs, it uses the ttn-gateway-connector protocol. Does your new LoRaWAN provider support that?

Hi,

Ah its the diamond shaped gateway with the central Ae, possibly the starter pack variant?

The provider has suggested registering it as the Semtech packet forwarder and then requires me to change the EUI, however if you say this isn’t possible it will be back to the drawing board!

Thank you

Sounds like the Kickstarter gateway so yes, you need to either use different hardware or port the Semtech packet forwarder to it (non trivial and something only a die hard embedded developer with a lot of time to spare should attempt)

Thanks Jac,

think ill just go with a more appropriate gateway for the job, and continue to use TTN gateway for low level learning.

thanks for the information and advise

And to build the network!

2 Likes