Difference between LoRa and LoRaWAN

Hi there,

i hope i chose the right Topic for this one.

In the last days i did a lot of research on the differences of LoRa and LoRaWAN.

What i find in a lot of scientific Publications is confusing and i honestly think a lot of people mix LoRa and LoRaWAN even in scientific Publications.

I know LoRa operating on the Layer 1 of the OSI Model (PHY) and is mainly in charge of modulating the signal. LoRaWAN on the other side is on the Layer 2 Data Link and specific in the MAC Sublayer.

So here are my questions:

1. Is Lora only in charge of Modulation? Node to Node communication works on LoRa (only LoRa) is that right? Is there anything else LoRa is doing?

2. Is LoRa a FSK Based Modulation Method oder simply CM? I mean is LoRa a Frequency Shift Chirp Modulation or plain Chirp Modulation? I found several studies that claim sometimes CM sometimes FSCM.

3. What is a specific feature of LoRaWAN that LoRa by itself does not provide? In a Lot of Publications they talk about LoRa and LoRaWAN in the exact same context. Clearly they mention that LoRa is a PHY Based tec but they speak of LoRaWAN and LoRa as if they where the same thing. I Mean LoRaWAN is a communication Protocol right? I think as example the Adaptive Datarate is made available by LoRaWAN???

4. Are the Compliance Regulations only for LoRaWAN or for LoRa as well? Im speaking of Duty Cicle, SCPF, Device Classes (A,B,C).

Hopefully im not asking too dumb questions but right now im a bit confused by all the different Papers and Publications all throwing LoRa and LoRaWAN at free will (so it seems)

Thanks in Advance

Philipp

Have you tried the documentation provided by the Lora Alliance? The LoRaWAN specification should provide you with the differences.
And Semtech documentation provides the ultimate source of truth regarding Lora modulation. They hold the patents so they should know.

Compliance regulations, as in legal requirements, are for radio transmissions in general, not specific to LoRa, LoRaWAN or and other method of sending information by radio.

@LoRaTracker
Thank you for the answer. So SCPF are note compliant with Radio regulations?

@kersing
Thanks. I will try to work my way thru the documentations :slight_smile:

The software for the SCPF device needs to ensure its compliant with legal regulations. Whether a particular device is legal to use I or the forum cannot say, these devices are not supported by TTN.

Since the SCPF interferes with the operation of other LoRaWAN compliant nodes, their use is not encouraged either.