DLMS over TTN/Integration

Indeed we don’t see much demand for TTx interoperability because of the large scale context. But TTx is an opportunity to expand the adoption of the technology and enable anyone to try/test/experiment in their context or deploy at small scale.
Limited features/use cases in a TTx constrained environment is still an opportunity to expand LoRaWAN adoption for electricity metering, and at some point this is the benefit we are targeting. Not all utilities are equals and medium or small scaled cooperatives could still see an interesting option with TTx. Indirectly, more LoRaWAN networks for utility applications means more TTx users to develop more devices and more use cases in this segment. That’s also the reason why I’m not ashamed to post here though TTx is not the most common LNS we come across.

Single phase residential is the primary target and what we tested (this is also the largest market). 30mn reads is sufficient in most cases, though there’s a trend of demand pushing to the quarter, which remains feasible depending on the utility expectations (and budget. For Residential, LoRaWAN means a much much cheaper solution than a full featured cellular or overexpensive RF mesh based AMI.)

In Industrial, the cost justification is less significant. Here, the interest is more related to the versatility of the LoRaWAN network with multiple additional devices available to cover other use cases with the same network. But three phases have a cost and though it’s not impossible, billing+quality and load monitoring + Time of Use billing with multiple tarriffs are slightly more challenging than standard residential metering. In such case, applying different levels of SCHC compression really helps.

Regarding timeline, some utilities in different countries haven’t progressed much since 2015. Back at that time, I was hearing that most Brazil companies where expecting to deploy massively RF Mesh solutions. Same in Thailand and other markets. 6 years later, they haven’t reached 5% and I still hear the same melody. Luckily, if we don’t consider the EU+UK market, DLMS over LoRaWAN does not seem to arrive too late :slight_smile:

Happy to follow up around a coffee or beer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I failed to provide you with an update on this topic (should it still interest people in this community).

DLMS over LoRaWAN is now available to the community through Acklio Dev Program.
It’s free, and it’s there : https://ackl.io

Solution relies on the SCHC standard (RFC 8724) which is used to enable IPv6 over LoRaWAN (LoRa Alliance Tech Spec 010, also available on the Acklio website and also free).

Anyone interested can reach out to us, some of our staff will attend The Thing Conference.

Sony

1 Like

Thanks for the update Mr.N :slight_smile:
In the context of this forum and the community I noted that your website calls out existing operation with 5 other LoRaWAN/NS operators but no shout for TTN (for initial POC testing and dev of small qty devices perhaps) or more importantly TTI either OS, Hosted or Enterprise instances for medium or high volume DLMS over LoRaWAN commercial deployments, per previous thread discussion/comments. Can you confirm if this is already in place or in progress? If still WIP when planned available release. I know a few community and eco-system people who indeed were/still are interested in real implementations and will pass on link to your post :wink: