DLOS8N constantly connecting/disconnecting and changing IP

Hi all,

I have had a DRAGINO DLOS8N 4G gateway connected (with a 4G sim card only) in a farm for more than 4 months now with no issue or disconnection.
Today, it started behaving weirdly, connecting and disconnecting frequently and then changing IPs, which leads to TTN server identifying it as offline.
Here are some screenshots :

Any idea what is happening, or how to solve this ? Nothing has changed from 4 months ago up until now, this behaviour started today without apparent cause.

Thanks for your help,
HB

Issues at the telco? Have you power cycled the gateway to see if things recover?

Yep i have rebooted it, but still the same issue.

Network was great up until now, but I started having this issue in 2 other gateways that are in different regions but with same sim card and operator

are you referring at the events at 19:35:12, 19:35:17, 20:12:11 and 20:12:22

Nope, I know those are meta events.
I am referring to the Gateway disconnect / connexion expired events.

Thanks
HB

how often does it occur?

sure its s not the cell site going down

how may packets are dropped

Every 20min or so.
Seems unlikely, for the 4G cell site to drop this often, but I am giving a call to the telco operator today to check.

How can I check for packets dropped ?

Thanks,
HB

Where in the world are you? Can you see any stats for the quality of the cellular connection? Though you call out use of 4G it may be you are actually running on a 3G link and in some parts of the world 3G is being shut down(*) (often gradually) as BSN’s switch to 4G/5G. If a close by BSN is down for maintenance/upgrade or just failed or indeed taken out of service for 3G and your system has failed over to linking to a more remote BSN it may be causing intermittent backhaul link if signal strength poor. WRT disconnect/connect ‘issue’ see comments in the other post you questioned earlier and also Forum search :wink:

*Have repeat notifications from Vodafone here in UK that process is underway for 2023 - will impact many of mine and clients/collaborators GW’s and know many of the ‘smart’ meters here that rely on 3G (mostly south of the country) are now going to have to be upgraded by 2030/32 latest and the 3G networks decimate GW’s and gradually shut down services despite many having only recently been deployed! Dhoh! You really couldnt make it up :wink:

An easy check is monitor the FCount of the devices and look for continuous sequences of incrementing value, gaps may be missed or dropped packets but that doesnt guarantee it was a backhaul problem.

Another tip is set up a canary device in reasonably close proximity to GW (not too close!) such that it can send a short/null message on SF7 and at low power - say every 30 mins or so - and monitor its performance over time. It will tell you if there is a general problem anywhere from RF link through to LNS backend if you monitor its stats. Perhaps trigger an alarm or warning if several messages missed in a period…