Do gateways with 3G/4G backhaul support have an IMEI number?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a US 915 TTOG and when I tried to get a prepaid AT&T sim card the store insisted that the device had to have an IMEI number and they wouldn’t activate a sim card without it. I could not find and IMEI number anywhere on the gateway or in the packaging. I have used Ting mobile sim cards in other devices and was never asked for an IMEI.

Anyone else have this problem?

There is one, but it might take an AT command query to the modem itself to retrieve it.

Ting probably knows what you’ve used, and chance they expose it in account/billing?

Thank you for the response. Ting does show IMEI numbers for two gateways that were originally set up with their sim card (without me providing IMEI), but the gateways have been moved around to different states and due to different cellular service in different areas we have had to switch SIM cards around - using AT&T in some places and Ting where we can. To be honest I have lost track of which gateway was aligned with which SIM card / Ting IMEI. There is a 3G/4G/LTE log that can be turned on and viewed in the ODU GUI - I can check to see if an IMEI shows up in that when the cellular service is connecting possibly? Is there a way to send command queries from the GUI? Not sure how else I could get the IMEI for a new device when trying to use AT&T.

Just to clarify, there is an IMEI number shown in the GUI WAN status screen for the 3G/4G/LTE when connected but I think that is what is registered to a particular SIM card with the cellular service provider, and not necessarily the modem/hardware IMEI. Confused.

An IMEI is effectively a serial number for the modem hardware.

The SIM has it’s own unique number.

IMEI = International Mobile Equipment Identity (this is THIS unique device)
IMSI = International Mobile Subscriber Identity (this is the sim-card identifier code)

Thank you for the assistance!

Well this saga is continuing. I have several TTOGs and one was working fine for months with a SIM card from AT&T but recently stopped being able to connect. I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T tech support and at one point had the SIM card working again in one of the gateways but then I foolishly switched the SIM card back to the original gateway that it was in and after that the SIM card would not work in any of the gateways. That is when this thread helped me to understand IMEI and IMSI numbers and I continued to work with AT&T support including getting a new SIM (not sure why they thought that was the problem) and confirming the correct IMEI number multiple times. Still no luck despite multiple trouble tickets and different attempts to reset / reconnect to AT&T cell network.

So in calling again today, a different technician is now insisting that the TTOG gateway is a 3G device and is not compatible with their network - supposedly they are sunsetting all of the 3G towers / support and that is why the TTOG is incompatible and stopped working. I don’t know much about cellular service, but the TTOG at least appears to indicate that it is 3G/4G/LTE compatible. The AT&T guy says that the IMEI number indicates that it is only a 3G device and nothing can be done to change that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight that might be helpful? The reason I have to use AT&T is that they have the only coverage in the area that we have deployed nodes - the area is remote and ethernet connection is not an option. Does it make sense that the TTOG isn’t really a 4G device?

Are there other gateways that have “true” 4G backhaul and would be expected to work with an AT&T network?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Haven’t got one/used one myself, and not NAM based but IIRC the TTOG US version uses a Quectel EC25-A Mode 4 LTE modem, with fall back support for 3G/WCDMA, data here:

It supports a number of WCDMA and LTE FDD bands as installed in the TTOG, the only thing it doesnt support in that config, again IIRC, is LTE TDD. The EU version EC25-E I believe supports the latter, as well as, from parocial UK perspective :slight_smile: the B20 Band under FDD. What are AT&T claiming to support in the deployed area (turn the question on them :wink: )

Updated to add:

TTOG US supports LTE FDD in B2, B4 & B12, WCDMA in B2, B4 & B5 if that helps discussion…

Thank you for the response and the spec sheet!

The modem in the US TTOG looks like it is the EC25A based on the datasheet and what is displayed in the WAN Status screen. Interesting that the datasheet specifically indicates it is certified with AT&T. Unfortunately when I talk to tech support I don’t think either party is knowledgeable enough to argue these technical details. They simply fall back on the position that it is not working so it is a non-compatible device.

According to the folks in the retail stores, AT&T has completely gutted their technical staff, and I am not optimistic about getting someone on the phone that can fix this problem. Maybe the Browan guys can help with the 3G/4G/LTE log that is available within the ODU GUI? The WAN Status screen actually shows that the device is connected to AT&T, but it continuously drops connection, and even when showing a connection to the at&t network it cannot pass any data, i.e., diagnostic ping test shows 100% packet loss.

Cheers!

Just to follow up / close this out. AT&T determined that the original SIM card / data plan was misconfigured as a smartphone. They don’t know why it worked like that for months and then suddenly stopped. Today they switched it to a data-only device /service and the gateway is working fine again. All the nonsense about the gateway being a 3G device and incompatible with their 4G/LTE network was a red herring. Serenity now.

2 Likes

Or a kiss off!.. corp lazy way out… :wink:

1 Like