Do I need to run a gateway?

I just got through flashing my new LGT-92 to 868 (I received one that was flashed for 915).

I’m following the conversation here:

I believe I entered all the data/ codes correctly in TTN, but I don’t see any device data.

Q: Do I have to have my own gateway to make the OTAA work?

Ater boot, I can see this in the serial monitor:

***** UpLinkCounter= 0 *****

TX on freq 907100000 Hz at DR 3

Server_TX_DUTYCYCLE: 300000

txDone

rxTimeOut

rxTimeOut

Roll=77 Pitch=314

South: 51.6019

West: 0.6501

***** UpLinkCounter= 1 *****

TX on freq 907100000 Hz at DR 3

Server_TX_DUTYCYCLE: 300000

txDone

rxTimeOut

rxTimeOut

Irrespective of OTAA or ABP the device will only work as part of a system and present data if it can be ‘seen’ by a LoRaWAN GW connected to the network. Wher ein the world are you? Have you checked to see if there is a TTN GW in proximity to where you are? If not then you will ned to provide a GW or move the node closer to an existing GW, if yu are close to an existing GW then you ‘should’ see data appear in your TTN application f correctly set up. Let us know more on your situation and we can take it from there wrt helpin you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those frequencies do not match EU868. Was the update successful? And are the filters on the device able to handle the EU868 frequencies?
EU868 uses 867-869MHz.

This is still set for the 915Mhz band - you need to try again wrt getting onto 868Mhz…

Any 868Mhz GW close by will simply not hear you due to mismatch! :frowning:

Also transmitting in this band within Europe is probably illegal and interferes with mobile operators.

Hi Derek, just realised you are near me - I recall seeing you join the HW TTN community a few weeks back and meant to reach out to you earlier, The principal TTN community in the area is the Bourne End and Cookham community…was going to call it High Wycombe but 1st couple of GW’s were, well BE &C! And rather than set up lots of seperate small communities for HW, Marlow, Cookham, Beaconsfield, Maidenhead, Gerrads X etc We have simply scaled out to to cover larger area to gain critical mass and try to reach ‘official’ TTN status vs fragment resources. :slight_smile: Klaus didnt appreciate that when he subsequently set up TTN HW, and we never got to close it down…come over and join us:-
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/bourne-end-and-cookham/

We now cover Henley in West to Gerrards Cross/M25 in East, Wendover/Chiltern Hills to north and Burnham/Maidenhead to south…

We have a core of 8 contributors >>dozen users and a baseline of approx 25GW’s with peak over 30GW’s live…many are represented as a subset in TTN HW…

Am about to head on vac but will follow up once back :wink:

It seems you have three challenges

1. First you’ve not fully changed the software to the appropriate frequencies

2. Even if you do use all the appropriate frequencies, the RF networks will likely be mistuned between these same-order-of-magnitude but fully distinct bands, leading to substantially reduced range

3. Even if there is a gateway in the (reduced) range, not being able to get the node closer to to it, or see its raw traffic output in the way that you could if you controlled it, puts you are a real disadvantage in debugging - you aren’t “required” to run a gateway if there is one nearby, but doing so ends up being overwhelmingly useful to any debug/development effort.

As Derek is close to me am awaiting contact by PM. I will provide one of my local community units or arrange potential relocation/re-alignment of existing GW if that helps and is practical…then again if he wants to add another - the more the merrier! :wink:

If there is a gateway near him already you can always provide access to its traffic in the TTN console by making him a collaborator.

I changed the AT+CHS=868400000, and now I’m getting this from the serial console

TX on freq 868400000 Hz at DR 5

txDone

rxTimeOut

rxTimeOut

TX on freq 868400000 Hz at DR 5

txDone

rxTimeOut

rxTimeOut

TX on freq 868400000 Hz at DR 4

txDone

@Jeff-UK, @kersing, @cslorabox
Thank you for your comprehensive responses!

I can see I got the settings wrong, and I think I have corrected them. In answer to my main question, it would seem I do not need to run my own gateway - I can join TTN by transmitting when I am in range of a community GW?

Thanks
~D

Yes you can, no need to buy you own gateway to use the network. You are of course welcome to buy one and improve network coverage and redundancy by deploying it.

Thanks for the confirmation. As I have just started along this journey I am taking tentative steps-the GPS tracker is my first purchase for Lorawan. I think if I can make this work then of course I will venture into hosting my own gateway

Hi Derek, Just FYI Mike P is hosting one of my GW’s on Ellwood - ~500-800m West from you, however, as he is in a bit of a dip with the ant not yet high mounted & still with ant indoors I suspect there is a terrain masking issue from the small rise between Burkes Road and Tilsworth…it may be you can see it from your road but from a quick drive by last month I suspect not. If you can get to Ellwood area you should connect via that GW or head to the forecourt of the Esso station or the B4440 bridge over M40 and down into Wooburn Green or visit west side of Holtspur Cemetary! and you will be able to connect with a number of GW’s in Flackwell Heath, Bourne End, Cookham or the Laird hosted GW’s down in Mercury Biz park Wooburn :slight_smile: If you look on the TTN BE & C page you can see historic stories with sample points where successful connections were made…I can share more detailed coverage info once back from vac early Aug and have a spare GW (with a new one due end July) that I would be happy for you to host if interested… :slight_smile: Will follow up on the seperate PM thread…

Just a quick update:
Last night I drove a circular route from Beaconsfield to Wooburn Green, past Odds Farm and over to Farnham Common, and then back. No packets…
Today I walked the length of Burkes Road to Sainsburys and back. No packets…

I’m sure it’s a setup issue on my side, so I will keep tinkering.

Could someone please confirm the freq and interval I should be transmitting at?

Hi Derek, will drop you a PM with some coverage info if I get time later, will call you to run through coverage/terrain masking in the area when back from The Netherlands…!

You need to follow the published EU868 freq plan (8channel) and intervals need to respect both legal duty cycle limits (and if being responsible should not come even close to that!) as well as TTN FUP.

Note: Odds Farm Park and surroundings are relatively high heathland terrain masked by e.g. Wye valley east side, Hedsor, and Cliveden escarpments from the FLH & Cookham GW’s. The Burnham GW coming into play when much further south e.g. on Dropmore Road close to Burnham. Am looking at ways to cover OFP, Dipple Wood, Abbots Wood & Littleworth Common areas. Burkes road coverage only in the small area around Jn with Ellwood per prior post as is mostly the wrong side of Walk Wood Hill area. Sainsbury’s and indeed whole Beaconsfield town area in an elevated ‘bowl’ and needs its own GW…am looking for possible sites :wink: Wooburn green village area is in river valley/ dip below terrain edge for the FLH GW’s though if heading around A4094 Wycombe Lane bend towards Loudwater you should see the Laird GW’s on Mercury Park, or next to war memorial and part down A4094 to Wooburn Town and Bourne End you can be occasionally seen by Cookham, or climbing back up B4440 towards Holtspur you again pick up Cookham and FLH gw’s per earlier post. Broad Lane from approx M40 bridge to close to around Mill Wood to the west see intermittent contacts to FLH only. Suggest you pull off B4440 50-100m south of M40 bridge on left side & you should get picked by 3-6 GW’s @ 1.5-6.5km range depending on SF/tx pwr :slight_smile: Or park up on Ellwood as I can see TestGW010 is live right now…

I have to thank @Jeff-UK and @kersing for helping me get up and running with my 1st device. The support of the community is amazing!

Over the next couple of days I will create a blog/howto article of my setup and share it online.

1 Like