Does LoRaWAN need to have a common Frequency Worldwide?

I think for a new standard of LoRaWAN, involved people should concern about this limitation. When we take our smart phone with Wifi and Bluetooth to anywhere in the world, we still can use it. Why LoRaWAN equipment is not included this ability?

Please contact all governments around the world and ask them for a free band below 1GHz to be used for an unlicensed network where the users do not pay the government involved any compensation for their use of that band.
Once you have that band available LoRaWAN users will be glad to start using it…

What I’m trying to say is that the LoRa alliance would (probably) love to be able to use a single band and frequency plan around the world but can’t do so legally at the frequencies which allow significant signal propagation. There might be a reason new hardware which supports 2.4GHz had been released.

4 Likes

Here you can find the list of frequencies for 3G and 4g around the world: https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html . It is hard to tell there is a common frequency worldwide :slight_smile:

Contact the ITU and point out to them the oppertunity they perhaps dont realise is being missed, a common worldwide frequency for LoRaWAN below 1Ghz.

Your probably wasting your time as its highly unlikley there is a free Worldwide common frequency these days.

And then there is the issue of who changes, for the sake of a common Worldwide frequency would you think there would be agreement to scrap all the current TTN equipment in Europe and move it to another common frequency ?

Does LoRaWAN need to have a common Frequency Worldwide?

To answer that question directly, then no it does not need a common frequency, as it seems to be working without.

Whether it would be desirable, even if technically possible, is debatable. There wont be many cases when someone moves say a greenhouse, complete with monitoring TTN nodes, from one side of the Globe to another.

1 Like

This. Likely the only use case for international mobility is asset tracking, but at this point you could design a tracker with a couple of radio chips + firmware that, basing on GPS position, select the right frequency (more or less like phones, able to exploit different frequencies). No need for stationary nodes.

And it would then need to be asset tracking of a particular type.

Current fair access rules perhaps dont meet most peoples concept of an asset tracker. Assuming SF12 in use, you only get around 20 messages a day.

Ok, but I think here there is room for TTI users too, that do not have fair access rules. Anyway, no real need for a common frequency.

Yes OP I think the horse has bolted already on available frequencies since there has never been full international planning and cooperation across the whole radio spectrum. I think we are lucky to have only three main frequency ranges with LoRa.

Like 2G/3G/4G/5G I imagine there will be tri-band, quad-band and penta-band loRaWAN specifications for global roaming in the future

How does my mobile phone know which bands to use… It scans the the bands for active towers. A LoRaWAN end device could do similar.

I dont see a comparision with 2G/3G/4G/5G as valid.

I can fully understand why there has been aggreement, Worldwide, to develop the ‘gateway’ and receiving equipment (phones) to support 2G/3G/4G/5G, there are billions and billions of $ involved. 5G has just come to my city in the UK, its a bargain at £54 per month. At that price I would expect it to be universal, which it will be I guess, eventually.

TTN in comparison a free community service, is there a real incentive to develop the more sophiticated equipment that would be needed, and change the TTN application layer to matrch ?

AS923 already assigns frequencies, channels and modulation schemes on a join.
923.2MHz and 923.4MHz, this is common to many countries!

Extract from LoRaWAN 1.02

2.7.2 AS923 ISM Band channel frequencies

 Brunei [923-925 MHz]
 Cambodia [923-925 MHz]
 Hong Kong [920-925 MHz]
 Indonesia [923-925 MHz]
 Japan [920-928 MHz]
 Laos [923-925 MHz]
 New Zealand [915-928 MHz] and Australia
 Singapore [920-925 MHz]
 Taiwan [922-928 MHz]
 Thailand [920-925 MHz]
 Vietnam [920-925 MHz]

Ttn =/= LoRaWAN ! :wink: It should be poss to implement multiband system once economics proven (better scale costs/volumes?), and RF matching/switching solved. Frequencies not too disimilar to those in the cellular world. Agree likely drivers will be commercial services needing effective device roaming on wide range vs Ttn…Tti? :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.