Dragino board doesn't send uplinks/downlinks

Hi everyone,

I’m currently developing on arduino uno + dragino shield…

I previously had problems using LMIC ABP script because I didn’t un-check frame checks in the console. I fixed that and I had successful uplinks for some time.

I tried testing downlink by activating OTA and I got stuck in Joining event as I see lot of people posting about. I simply don’t have enough time to wait for 15 minutes and hope to get Joined event.

Now I switched back to ABP and for 5 days I can’t get single uplink anymore…

I’m starting to think that arduino uno + dragino shield simply has some kind of problems since I was reading other’s experience with the device and I didn’t find any optimistic opinions. Now I’m thinking about getting MKR WAN 1300.

What do you guys recommend? I don’t know what to do anymore and it’s getting really frustrating to try to develop something that simply fails every other day. Would MKR WAN 1300 have better chance of being functional and consistent device?

Please look my previous post for more context: Unconsistent uplink messages

There you can find the script I used in pastebin.

I would be thankful if somebody can affirm it would be a good idea to go with MKR WAN 1300…

what are you developping if I may ask ?

about you switching from ABP to OTAA to ABP and now it’s not working anylonger… did you disable framecounters again too ?
mayby delete the node all together, and then re register it at the application, but don’t use the same name

what are you developping if I may ask ?

Well, I’m making a simple smartgarden app that gets sensor reading from the node and is able to schedule downlink to activate automated watering system but as you can see the basic functionality of uplinks an downlinks is currently unstable for me making it harder to do anything. I did integrate uplinks into my app via MQTT and I can schedule downlink via http request through my app but I never got to point where my device receives the downlink (sometimes it would show up in the console but very late).

did you disable framecounters again too ?

It stayed disabled I’m pretty sure…

maybe delete the node all together, and then re register it at the application, but don’t use the same name

I haven’t tried this but I will once I get a chance I’m not currently by my device

Consider developing something using a Microchip LoRaWAN module. That eliminates issues with the LoRaWAN stacks timing from you program.
They RN2483/RN2903 modules contain a certified LoRaWAN stack that you control with ascii commands using an uart, a lot easier to use when compared to RFM95 and LMIC.

I am busy developing with the MKR WAN 1300. It gives many problems with single channel gateways. I am not sure if I will be able to get it to work with a single channel gateway. It might be a lot easier with an 8-channel gateway. Just keep that in mind.

let’s reverse this: single channel gateways, which are not LoRaWAN compliant, give problems with some platform :slight_smile: (MKR WAN is not perfect at all, but in normal conditions they run well).

let’s reverse this: single channel gateways, which are not LoRaWAN compliant, give problems with some platform :slight_smile: (MKR WAN is not perfect at all, but in normal conditions they run well).

All I know is that gateway closest to me is one of those Raspberry Pi zero + RAK831 builds, I’m not sure if it’s single channel or no. So LoRaWAN compliant gateways should have 8 channels?

RAK831 based gateways have 8 channels.

LoRaWAN compliant gateways in EU and US will have at least 8 channels. India is the exception where just 3 channels are used due to lack of available frequencies.

1 Like