Dragino LDDS75 returns "No Sensor"

I just put a new Dragino LDDS75 Distance Detection Sensor into operation.

Unfortunately it returns a “No Sensor” value in the payload. The battery information seems plausible, however:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 23.21.29

I tried using the repository decoder as well as the TTN payload decoder available at dragino.com: https://www.dragino.com/downloads/downloads/LoRa_End_Node/LDDS75/Payload/LDDS75%20decoder--TTN.txt

As the battery infos looks fine, I don’t think it is a problem with the decoder. Anyway, here is the latest received payload:

"f_port": 2,
      "f_cnt": 2,
      "frm_payload": "DTMG8AAAAAE=",
      "decoded_payload": {
        "Bat": 3.379,
        "Distance": "No Sensor",
        "Interrupt_status": 1
      },

While measuring, the ultransonic sensor’s LED quickly flashes blue for a few seconds, right before the transmitter box’ LED then indicates the data transmission by flashing green. Shortly after I receive the “no sensor” message on TTN. The sensor’s blue flashing accompanied by some (very quiet) sounds for me as a layman looks like the sensor is working and measuring. Why doesn’t the payload include the value? Could there be anything wrong with the wiring? I haven’t touched that, it is right out of the box:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 23.38.47

Nor have I changed any settings on the node itself.

Do you have any ideas? Searching this forum and the Dragino Google Group didn’t give me any answer yet :frowning:

Good morning.
I may be completely wrong here!
But as the sensor LiDAR is an active Radar, it would be using power as soon as you connect the battery :battery:.
And I would expect to see a link so this is turned on once it is setup on the network equipment first. And then turn on the LiDAR sensor. So would look at all the links.

I am very keen on your success of your project and keen to keep in touch about it.

I am looking at a project very soon to use a lot of them and without them working on the TTI and TTN V3 I will have failed, before I start.

I am lyndon.george@live.co.uk & lyndon.george@reading.gov.uk, and have been working to roll out the Smart Berkshire TTI & TTN. And have been working on use cases we can adopt for local authorities, so the network can stay in use longer, and survive budget cuts.

So am very keen to learn, and like you no expert in stacks and programming, but I do have a very long history in electrical, machanical structural engineering.

So if I can help you please let me know, and I would very much like to know how you are getting on with this.

Lyndon

The LDDS75 uses ’ ultrasonic sensing technology’ (quoted from the product page), not LiDAR.

1 Like

They do work on TTS - the OP is receiving information just fine, it’s just not the information (s)he was hoping for.

With @Jeff-UK in your area, will you need to export him elsewhere to make Berkshire Smarter?

Probably either:

• the sensor is defective/damaged
  • the wiring is loose, even if you haven’t touched it
  • or there’s nothing in range of the sensor

You’d have to check the last and preferably the actual payload data against documentation, is the specific value field transmitted one that indicates a fault only, or can it indicate either a fault or a lack of any reflection within the range window?

1 Like

@Lyndon_George : As @kersing mentioned, the LDDS75-8 is combined with an ultrasonic sensor. I started the device as I understood the user manual: By setting the power-jumper. Everything else, including the battery wire, was already connected.

@cslorabox : Thank you for your suggestions! You pushed me in the right direction to dig further and finally find the solution. It seems to be a bug (or a feature or just a wrong firmware version of my device or whatever) in the decoder that Dragino provides for TTN.

I triggered the node twice while putting it in two different distanced from a wall. Those are the payloads:

Measurement #1 (± 50 cm)
0D2F01F100000001

Measurement #2 (± 130 cm)
0D2A054200000001

According to the payload description, the 3rd and 4th byte are the ones I am looking for:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-18 um 22.52.44

So I got 01F1 from measurement #1 and 0542 from measurement #2. Which a HEX > DEC online tool convertes to very acurate 497 and 1346 mm.

So it actually seems to be a problem with the decoder. I was using the one provided from Dragino for TTN: https://www.dragino.com/downloads/downloads/LoRa_End_Node/LDDS75/Payload/LDDS75%20decoder--TTN.txt

There is that if(len==5) condition, that otherwise returns the “No Sensor” value. But the length of the payload in my case is always 8 byte… so I just replaced the 5 with an 8 and it runs just fine :slight_smile:

function Decoder(bytes, port) {
  // Decode an uplink message from a buffer
  // (array) of bytes to an object of fields.
  var len=bytes.length;
  var value=(bytes[0]<<8 | bytes[1]) & 0x3FFF;
  var batV=value/1000;//Battery,units:V

var distance = 0;
  if(len==8)  
  {
   value=bytes[2]<<8 | bytes[3];
   distance=(value);//distance,units:mm
   if(value<20)
    distance = "Invalid Reading";
  }
  else
   distance = "No Sensor";

var interrupt = bytes[len-1]; 
  return {
       battery:batV ,
       distance:distance,
       interrupt_status:interrupt
  };
}
9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.