Dragino LPS8 Indoor LoRaWAN Gateway Antenna

Possibly, though there are much higher points around me. The TV/Satelite antennas there before it had no lightning protection either and seemed to survive alright.

Worst case scenario is the LPS8 gets toasted, but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem!

Whats the LPS8 connected to ?

A 5v Apple USB charger, which is fused. It’s using WiFi to send data back to the things network so I don’t see this as much of a risk.

For the ones that are interessted:
Dragino LPS8 - with BLG-AN-040 mounted on 5 meters above ground.
dragino

Wow nice! are you in an urban area?

No it’s on the country side a lot of farmers around the gateway. :smile:

Ahah it help! I am interessted in this antenna too

1 Like

Do you know what is the power output of the LPS8? I don’t find this information in the datasheet

Really? From the Datasheet:

:slight_smile:

Can you send me the link? I don’t have it in mine:

That is the manual, @Jeff-UK refers to the data sheet.

Oh yes I found the “datasheet”

Much more a product overview rather than a datasheet… Anyway I have my answer thank you for your help!

I agree… what we used to call a product brief vs datasheet (with emphasis on brief!) :wink:

Similar results here, 6km has been my longest contact so far, which was from a couple of high points. Considering my position in a valley, this is pretty good!

https://ttnmapper.org/gateways/?gateway=eui-8eef8eef8eef8eef&startdate=&enddate=&gateways=on&lines=on&points=on

Hey Guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while now. I’m brand new to LoraWAN, messing with Dragino products only(LPS-8 gateway). I always wanted a way to track my car’s whereabouts in the city using GPS and had a lot of issues until I stumbled upon your convo on outdoor antenna’s.

Once I got the aforementioned 3.0dB outdoor, i was up and rolling pretty good.
IMG-0210 (1)

I still really only see accurate gps data (using Dragino LGT-92) out to 2 -3 Philadelphia city blocks(at max -118dBm), likely due to interference, but its neat. You never know when the parking authority will tow your car around here. Now i can get an alert :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same setup. LPS8 with the 3dbi antenna from dragino works like a charm! :+1::signal_strength:

1 Like

My LPS8 is getting warm - so i decidet to drill some holes in the case.
Yours is now additionally covered in a box - and maybe in direct sunlight. It could be an idea to place a thermometer in the box too, to watch what is going on when it is hot outside.

This is the reason why I use a LIG16 now. It consumes only 1.3W instead of 4W as the LPS8 does.

Thanks, thats not a bad idea. I have some raspberry pi zero’s lying around with temp probes that i could use to monitor. Any idea if the LPS-8 reports its temperature anywhere in the dashboard? There is certainly not much ventilation in that box i used.

Thanks for the advice, i’ve also connected a BLG-AN-040 to my LPS8 and i get 2.5km with SF7 (on AS923 in Hong Kong)
20220124ttnmapper
20220121_083937