End device - GPS location - battery

Hi everyone.
I experienced a first object locator ( Browan) : it sends every 120 minutes update position when it Is not moving, and 15 secs when it Is moving.
I have a couple of questions:

1. Could I change the time setup in this device in order to send update every 5 minutes and not 15 secs, to reduce the battery life? Battery last a couple of days when device is always moving
  2. Do You suggest any other object locator, cheap and easy to setup to change the frequency of sending upload message?

Thank you,
Paolo

More important than batter life15 sec is probably illegal, if not close to impossible to maintain, in most parts of the world and in the context of TTN would be a major breach of the TTN FUP - you might want to look at other Forum posts wrt GPS trackers e.g. Fair use policy - viability of trackers

As a general guide, to stay within the fair access policy of TTN, i.e. what you should use within the free access limit, a GPS tracker best case (so when real close to a gateway) should limit itself to a position transmission no more than once every 150 seconds.

Worst case, which of course is what you really need to plan for, is a position transmission no more than once every hour.

I don’t understand very well, sorry.
I heard of tracking (by using lorawan) for example animal in the forest, so how they do with a long life battery? Do You mean that they probably won’t use TTN because of the fair policy?
We would use in our small community different applications by using 4-5 gateways: one already installed, now citizens asking for end nodes: i understand that for end nodes that don’t move battery life last for Years, but maybe GPS tracking is not applicabile: one day battery is a little hard to be used for applications like track animals, or object locator for keys and other things.
Worst case you mean at the end, it is still applicabile under TTN in the respect of fair policy?

The limitations on what you get for free are there, if you want to use LoRaWAN systems for postition tracking by transmitting more often then you need to pay for access.

GPS trackers themselves is not such a simple project, and GPSs in forests can be an issue, in that the GPS might not work. Then main issue with battery life is the GPS itself, when running all the time even the good ones are going to consume circa 10ma-15mA so even a pack of AA batteries may only last 5 days are so.

For TTN use you would need to assume the once an hour scenario and you can then keep the GPS off most of the time and extend battery life to 200 days or so on AAs.

Thank you.
Once a hour scenario would be good.
We bought a first device for testing ( Browan object locator) but based on the specs we could not change the frequency that is fixed to 15 secs when moving. We saw other device that can do this, like clickey GPS, ztrack…
I’m looking for something that could be useful in our small village, people are a lot interested in the things that can be done under lorawan TTN network coverage.
GPS in only for some people that are interested on it, but other application looks excellent for us: we have for example every year a lot of call for start on fire in our neighbourhood and maybe having hundred outdoor temperature and humidity sensor could prevent and prevent it.

The dragino lgt92 tracker can last up to 2 weeks on a single charge, when only doing GPS fix once an hour. You can set the interval yourself. It can also send GPS when moving (inertia sensor), but on an animal that would probably mean always…

Gnat or Cricket would likely work for your use case. You can change the reporting time, etc via a well-commented sketch via USB connection to the Arduino IDE…At once per 2 hour GNSS duty cycle the Gnat uses ~250 uA, so two AA batteries would last almost a year. They both have an accel for wake-on-motion, etc.