Extreme Range Test for LoRa Trackers, Air-to-Air Communication Range up to 40KM

“Compass”is MAXIIOT’s newly released LoRa based GPS tracking device for tracking various assets and the living equipped with rechargeable battery . Integrated with LoRa+GPS+BLE chips , which enable “Compass” pairs with your phone and transmit GPS location from device to device through LoRaWAN network. Low power consumption combine with private network,makes it ideal for outdoor adventure and traveling .

In this project , we will show you how to get a GPS data from a remote LoRa based GPS tracker and the maximum communication range that can achieve between two LoRa trackers.lets get started!

1、Overview of Test Environment

Node 1 located at observation deck of Nanshan. Node2 moves from Qianhai to Dongguan through Yanjiang highway. The observation deck is open, with few buildings around , facing the Yanjiang highway.
2、Test Method

Required devices: 2LoRa GPS Tracker+1 mobile phone.

LoRaWAN data rate: DR0(SF12,BW125)
%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_20180313113905
Divide the test team into two groups .

Group 1: One LoRa Tracker(node 1) +one mobile phone , climbs to the empty observation deck of Nanshan. about 275 meters above sea level.
%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%871
Group 2: One LoRa Tracker(node 2), heading to Humen from Qianhai, vehicle speed around 80Km/h on Yanjiang highway.
%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%872
Operation:

Step 1: Node 1 pairs with the mobile phone ,open test APP .

Step2 : Node 2 send GPS location message to Node 1 every 2 minutes by default .

If received , will get receive notification in app .

if not received , display"Activity unbound to the service ".
3. Running Result
%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%873
The following are some representative data:

1. Starting Point( where node1 is ) : Observation deck of Nanshan. about 275 meters above sea level.

2. Near Qianhai branch of ABC : node2 is 2.2KM away from node1, few buildings around, high receive sensitivity , no packet loss.

3. Close to Bihai fortis city iii:node2 is 9.3KM away from node1, no building around, high receive sensitivity , signal stable, no packet loss.

4. Near Bao’an International Airport:node2 is 17.5KM away from node1,Packet loss rate increasing sharply due to the impact of airport signal shielding ,when left airport area , signal recover , no packet loss .

5. Fuyong toll station:node2 is 24.3KM away from node1, no building around, high receive sensitivity , signal stable, no packet loss.

6. Near Xin’an East Road,Dongguan:node2 is 36.5KM away from node1, no building around, high receive sensitivity , signal stable, no packet loss.

7. NiutauShan Tunnel:node2 is 40.0KM away from node1, packet loss rate increase due to the impact of mountains .

8. Near Dongguan University of Technology :node2 is 43.3KM away from node1, a lot buildings around, packet loss rate increase to 100% due to urban environment , test ended .

1. Conclusion and Notices

This project further validates the advantages of LoRaWAN wireless communication .In outdoor environment without obstacles, the air to air communication range between two LoRa end-device is over 40KM .

Notice :You have to be aware that Radio link quality and performances are highly dependent of environment. Better performances can be reached with:

-Outdoor environment,No obstacles.

-No high level radio interferer in the ISM band.

-At least 1 meter above the ground.

Radio communication are usually killed with bad topographic conditions. It is usually not possible to communicate through a hill, even very small.

Is this a demonstration of LoRa point to point communication or a LoRaWAN implementation ?

@LoRaTracker It’s point to point communication

BTW if interested in signal capture ‘en route’ vs just at selected stationary destination end points/check points you may find it useful to limit vehicle (node 2) speed as you may run into issues around signal coherence. At lower SF’s LoRa is good for speeds >>100kmph (~160kmph/100mph @ SF7?) but at higher SF’s coherence can fall increasing risk of packet loss/CRC errors etc. I see you call out travel speed of ~80kmph so whilst twists and turns of road mean direct LOS travel rate lower wrt node1 you may still find issues at SF12.

When doing coverage mapping at SF 12 for myself or clients I typically try to stay around 35-50kph - 20-30pmh and avoid going above 25mph where poss unless holding traffic! :wink:

1 Like

So as I understand it the above mentioned products have very little to do with TTN or the TTN network

…other than the Maxiiot products look to be LoRaWAN (capable)?..also I often find that if I use p2p tests to do 1st pass of coverage checks I then get faster results when it comes to deployment of LoRaWAN BSN. Often clients ask "if I put a BSN ‘around here’ can I get coverage ‘around here, here and here…’ " type q’s and quick P2P test will confirm/optimise before effort of BSN deployment…

…so post a poss useful example ahead of LoRaWAN/TTN deployment?! :wink:

@Jeff-UK This LoRa tracker is also LoRaWAN compatible.

I like Jeff’s suggestion ’ …so post a post useful example ahead of LoRaWAN/TTN deployment ’ :sunglasses:

Hi @monicalaw07
Is there any website for the manufacturer ?
I couldn’t find it’s website.

Thanks.

It seems, products are at very early stage …they do have LoRA Gateway and Nodes…

Interesting, but I would not call “extreme range” 40km in such easy conditions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Neither would I.

Mind you, I dont think the current ‘record’ of 702km is the limit either. But until someone puts a LoRa module (as in RFM98 etc) into orbit we wont know the limits.

If anyone has £25,000 to spare to fund me a PocketQube launch, then let me know, I would be keen to try.

3 Likes

…and apart from those true extremes, in tracking for checking the coverage of my poor SCG I costantly find my tracker (with a nice antenna) being received by another supposedly well-placed gateway on some hill, up to 74km far until now. And no flat sea in the middle (although flat land).

Point to Point